PDA

View Full Version : NOE 311284 -- First Results

B747
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Just got my NOE 311284 4 Cavity a couple of days ago so will provide what limited experience I have had with it. The workmanship / detail of the mould is outstanding.

With an alloy of about 80% WW’s and 20 % Lino and 1% Sn added, the bullets were dropping at 214.5gn. The nose measured out at just under .3025 and the bases were just under .315.

One slight problem I ran into that most won’t have, is I bottom fill from a 40 pound Magma Caster that has twin pour nozzles spaced to fit the Lyman and RCBS hole spacing. The NOE hole spacing is about 0.050” wider so cavities won’t line up directly under the two nozzles. I may see if I can have Swede mill a trough connecting the holes in the sprue plates of two other moulds I have coming.

I do like that the sprue holes are considerably smaller then Lymans which really helps when opening a 4 cavity mould with a gloved hand and I think makes a smoother base.

I sized these down to .3135 and with a Gator gas check and all but the top groove lubed they now weighed 218.8. Here is where I have about my only complaint. The shank diam is about right at the max ( bottom of my shanks are just a hair under .287) for these Gator checks and it really slows one down getting these on when you have to smartly tap them on to ensure you don’t end up with a flyer from getting one started crooked.

What does have me concerned is that the even fatter 314299 I have coming is going to have a shank a .001’ or two larger and it will be a real hassle to get them on.

Anyway, to press on and see how they shoot, I loaded these in 7.62X54R cases in a Finn M39 with a 6X Sightron scope. It has been a good shooter and has set a few CBA Mod Scope Class National Records with the 314299’s.

I seated them out at 3.060” --- just touching the nose on the lands and with 17.0 gns of AL 2400 they come out the barrel at just under 1600 fps.

Conditions were not ideal for cast bullets at 200 yards today with a 10 to 15 mph quartering to straight right crosswind. But that is exactly what I got this heavy --- long bullet for. It has about as good a B. C. you can get in a 30 Cal cast bullet.

I put out the wind flags and am quite pleased with the 200 yard performance.
My best two 5 shot groups were just under 2.2” (1.1 MOA).

I couldn’t clean the 200 yard MR-52 target for 10 shot score with these conditions today, but the 311284 was easily holding inside the 3.8” 10 Ring for elevation and the point or 2 lost on the wind letups were not the fault of the bullet or rifle --- that’s operator error.

This one is going to be a keeper.

Wally Enga