PDA

View Full Version : Brought back a rusty Ol mold

randyrat
10-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I saved it!
An RCBS 358-175 gc double mold Bought it for a song. I took a chance and picked it up for $20.
It was all rusty top to bottom and inside the cavities. It had who knows what kind of gunk all over it. I took some 600 grit sand paper to it and a "lamenting" with some buffing compound. Using the pour threw a nut method and twisting it. After
After i was done, I cast a few until it it dropped some real nice boolits. Wow mission accomplished.
That sure feels good saving an old tool.
Now if i can find some Gas Check for them. The "group buy login" dosen't show anything in stock at all. I'll have to check around a bit. I'm going to "Want to buy" section and put up a thread for them. If all else i can shoot them naked.

arcticbreeze
10-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Midway has them in stock if you want some now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=134373

geargnasher
10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Randy, Good score on an excellent boolit design, does the gas-check design still have 2 full lube grooves? If so, just warm some of that FWFL until it's slightly soft and smear it in the grooves, load 'em and go shoot. Should cover you to at least 1350 fps in a .357 Maggot without checks if your alloy is hard enough.

Gear

randyrat
10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Gear, this one has 2 lube groves they are kinda rounded grooves, not real deep. I was just thinking about that lube you sent me. i'm going to try some of that on these naked. I've got other designs of molds (plain base) also, so i can live without checks for a while.

jdgabbard
10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Outstanding Job, Sir. Just like dad always said. A little elbow grease and its like new...