PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight 6-cavity iron mould

26Charlie
04-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Picked up a 6-cavity "pot-belly" Hensley mould for .38 wadcutter on ebay. It is marked Geo. A. Hensley 50358148. I take it to mean the design for the 148 gr. wadcutter, .358 diameter, design #50. It is pre-Hensley & Gibbs, and weighs about 7 pounds.
I have never had a mould for 6-cavity, made of iron. It is a really good workout for the wrist & forearm muscles, I'll tell you. But, you come out with a can full of bullets in a hurry.
As you might imagine, a gang mould this old is a little beat up on the outside - the sprue cutter and the body of the pot belly part are peened from ignorant casters using a metal hammer to cut the sprue, and the edges at the top near the last two or three cavities where the mould is widest open are rounded a little from use and careless closing, but by and large the cavities are still nice and the six bullets come out OK.
Management of this mould is as follows -
I keep 3-in-1 oil on iron moulds for rust prevention, which I smoke off by laying the end or bottom of the mould against the melted lead for a little while. This mould is too big for that, so I laid it on top of the pot - a Lee 20-pound bottom pour with the 4" clearance underneath - and made a tent of aluminum foil around it. By the time the metal was ready to cast, the mould was at nearly the same temperature and had smoked off all the oil. I laid it against a wet rag to cool it enough for the bullets to solidify, and started casting. The first bullets out were heavily frosted, but then they came out nice and shiny.
The trick on filling is to slide the mould along under the spout while it is held open, so the lead streams into each cavity about the same time the runoff in the sprue cutter trough reaches it. Then there are no round-butts.
Cut the sprue fairly quickly, because cutting six bullet sprues when they are fully hard is going to take a lot of beating with the stick. Then put some opening pressure on the handles, so the bottom of the blocks start to open, and give the blocks a sharp rap with the stick. This springs the blocks all the way open and loosens the bullets at the same time, so almost all of them fall right out - one or two might stick a little but one rap of the stick usually gets them out. If I don't do this routine, some stick in one half and some stick in the other, and I have to rap each half several times to get them all out.

I'm looking forward to loading up some .38 Special target & plinking loads, and I'll get some results next week.

RayinNH
04-23-2006, 11:39 AM
26Charlie, I hope your ambidextrous or your going to acquire a Popeye arm on one side.:-D About a year ago the Kittery Trading Post had about a dozen various design H&G multi cavity molds, they were selling for $175 each...Ray

hammerhead357
04-24-2006, 08:46 PM
26Charlie the best technique I have found when using the gang moulds is not to pick them up at each cast. I have constructed an aluminum heat sink under the pouring spout of my pots that allow me to slide the mould under the spout and let it set while the spure hardens and then using a phenolic hammer and a strange swing from 12 o-clock to six o-clock I knock the sprue plate to the side. Then I have a horizontil rest for the handles and spread them and pump the bullets out.
This all sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Perhaps I can get a picture posted of my set up and it will make more sense. I usually cast with 2 8 or 10 cavity moulds and the only time I pick them up is to move them to or from the pots and to clean them. The heat sinks also help to keep the moulds from overheating.
Sorry this turned out so long. Wes

FISH4BUGS
04-25-2006, 04:39 AM
26Charlie, I hope your ambidextrous or your going to acquire a Popeye arm on one side.:-D About a year ago the Kittery Trading Post had about a dozen various design H&G multi cavity molds, they were selling for $175 each...Ray
I bought two of them. I am sorry I didn't buy the others. That was one of the most beautiful collections of H&G Moulds I ever saw in one place. I paid $195 for one, and believe it or not, $90 for the other (but I had to buy a Lee 20 lb pot to go with it to get that price.)
Those moulds sat there for many months....a rare collection to say the least.

RayinNH
04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
FISH4BUGS, I suspect they belonged to Harry that worked at and did cast boolits for the Trading Post. He retired about 6-8 months ago. They were indeed beautiful molds, however I didn't need that kind of volume. I can see that you might trying to feed a machine gun... Ray

FISH4BUGS
04-26-2006, 06:29 AM
FISH4BUGS, I suspect they belonged to Harry that worked at and did cast boolits for the Trading Post. He retired about 6-8 months ago. They were indeed beautiful molds, however I didn't need that kind of volume. I can see that you might trying to feed a machine gun... Ray
I used to work at the Trading Post from 1974-1978. I knew Harry quite well and worked with him. In fact, I used to buy a lot of his bullets in the early days. I know he had said he had some kind of health problem (not related to lead) the last time I saw him. I haven't seen him in some time. I am delighted to know these moulds were Harry's. I should have bought more.
You are right - I am feeding 4 submachine guns (and a number of pistols) with these moulds. My favorite is the MAC11A1 in 380......a real bullet hose. The MAC11 9mm is a STen modified MAC - it takes STen gun magazines. That one is a great shooter. I also have a S&W 76 9mm subgun - lots of fun to shoot.....plus a couple of safe queens that I never shoot.
Casting has been my savior. It has allowed me to shoot a lot and shoot cheaply. Other than the investment in the equipment to do all this, it is cheap fun.
Too bad Major Walrdron's doesn't allow full auto shooting! I have to shoot at Piscataqua F&G or indoors at Manchester Firing Line.