PDA

View Full Version : home built BP cartridge drop tube plans ?

water bug
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Have plans for a 24" or more high drop tube for loading BP 45-70 cartridges been posted anywhere? Thanks, Art

Bullshop
10-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I used an aluminum Ski pole. The long taper in the pole works good. I cut the small end at about the size of the case mouth I will be loading then use a plumers flairing tool to flair the end so that it sets on the case mouth. At the large end I atatch a small metal funnel.
If your looking for plans for a stand I dont use one but bet someone will be along shortly with something for ya.
BIC/BS

WARD O
10-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I just use a flat board a little longer than the tube. Add a couple of eye-bolts of the right size screwed into the flat board to contain the tube, a small board/ledge attached at one end of the board to hold the empty brass, a rubber o-ring above the eye-bolt to hold the tube where you want it and screw the whole thing to the side of bench or whatever....

Ward

water bug
10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Bull shop: What is a sky pole?? Anyone: where can one get 24" to 30" thin wall brass tube of appropriate size? Anything other than a funnel needed at the top end? Does the length matter? Thanks , Art

JRW
10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Here in town we have a great ace hardware store that thinks they are the old time general store! they sell brass and aluminum tubing and funnels. made mine from those components. have had zero issues with the three I made.

hydraulic
10-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I use an aluminum arrow.

Dale53
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
An ideal source is the chrome plated copper supply pipe to a toilet. They come in a set of two at the local hardware store. They are reasonably priced and about the right size.

Dale53

Bullshop
10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
water bug
That shoulda been SKI pole as in down hill ski-ing. Sorry bout that.
I have a bunch of them. I pick them up at yard sales for about nothing.
They work great.
BIC/BS

Gellot Wilde
10-08-2009, 03:15 AM
I just bought some alu tube and one of the nice funnels sold by Sinclair Int...works fine and looks pretty nice too. Got the .50cal funnel as it has the brass collar so it was simple to fix to the top of the tube.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/10283/s

Southern Son
10-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Water Bug, Try a remote control model shop. I got the brass tube and some thin brass sheet from one down here in Oz (Toyworld I think). I used the thin brass sheet to make the funnel for the top and then I made a little one that fits over the mouth of the case I am filling. The whole thing is held upright next to my reloading bench with a high tech gadget I made myself (in reality, it is held to the bench by an old coat hanger I bent into shape).

August
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Got some rolled up copper tubing at Home Depot and taped a funnel to the end. (I straightened the tubing, of course)