PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight question for 2 rifles

wonderwolf
10-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I've been shooting for some time with my Pedersoli 45-70 sharps with vernier rear sight and a blade front sight I've grown very accustom to. I'm thinking about cutting a dove tail in the barrel for a barrel mounted rear sight (looking at the selection from track of the wolf). I know the height of the front sight really plays into this but with something like this (http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(bmhinjbsbcrqksmc3u1vmo55))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=764&partNum=RS-3A)how far out can I shoot before I run out of rear sight working with a 500gr paper patched bullet and Black powder?
I understand the only way I could know for sure is to plot bullet drops and how high up the rear sight would go.

Also I'm Working on completing my 50-140 Rolling block. It does not have any dovetails cut or sights installed. Its a very heavy octagonal barrel so I got plenty of meat left. With a low front sight blade could I get away with having a rear sight like I posted above put on? Wanting to shoot out to 200 yards for starters with it. I don't think I want to put a vernier sight on this gun just yet. I just want to be able to shoot it at 200 yards for now.

Thanks for the help

Don McDowell
10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
If you have a traditional ladder sight mounted on your barrel, shooting to 1000 yds is no problem with a traditional semibuckhorn as available from Shiloh or C Sharps. A Lawrence sight as usually comes on Pedersoli's would probably have no trouble lobbing rounds to 1 mile.

Almost forgot, if you have to have a dovetail cut in the barrel for a rear sight you may want to consider the barrel sight available from Montana Vintage Arms. Nice semi buck folded down and a peep on the slider with the sight stood up. Cost about 90$

wonderwolf
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
If you have a traditional ladder sight mounted on your barrel, shooting to 1000 yds is no problem with a traditional semibuckhorn as available from Shiloh or C Sharps. A Lawrence sight as usually comes on Pedersoli's would probably have no trouble lobbing rounds to 1 mile.

Almost forgot, if you have to have a dovetail cut in the barrel for a rear sight you may want to consider the barrel sight available from Montana Vintage Arms. Nice semi buck folded down and a peep on the slider with the sight stood up. Cost about 90$

1000 yards with a traditional buckhorn ? really? Would you get that much elevation out of it?...Would probably have to make several elevation shims if you were to shoot at other known distances I bet. Pedersoli does not seem to offer the Lawrence sight as a part. I'll have to look around for one it looks like it might do the trick for both rifles.

Don McDowell
10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Yup the ladder sights with the traditional semi buck or full buckhorn .
No shims necessary, stand the ladder up and if you've regulated the frontsight to the buckhorns the yardage marks on the ladder will be darn close.

Don McDowell
10-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Also you may want to take alook on Buffalo Arms at the Fruend more light sight. Its a copy of a sight added to Sharps and other rifles by the Fruend brothers shop in Cheyenne in the hayday of the buffalo guns.

montana_charlie
10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I've been shooting for some time with my Pedersoli 45-70 sharps with vernier rear sight and a blade front sight I've grown very accustom to. I'm thinking about cutting a dove tail in the barrel for a barrel mounted rear sight
Your barrel should already have a 3/8"dovetail in it for a rear sight. If you bought the rifle new, you should have the sight, also.

Pedersoli does not seem to offer the Lawrence sight as a part. I'll have to look around for one it looks like it might do the trick for both rifles.
My rifle was used when I bought it, and came without the rear barrel sight. For the sake of 'completeness' I searched for a replacement. I can testify they are not commonly available from sources other than the rifle makers.

The Pedersoli part numbers for the Lawrence ladder sight are:
Rear sight base M860001210
Rear sight screw M70AFC1212
Rear sight, assembled USA419

Any Pedersoli dealer can order the parts if he doesn't already stock them.
VTI Gunparts probably has them in stock.

Good luck,
CM

wonderwolf
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Nope my barrel is clean save for the front sight, Its a older pedersoli rifle. Not sure HOW old but its older.

montana_charlie
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Nope my barrel is clean save for the front sight, Its a older pedersoli rifle. Not sure HOW old but its older.
Does it have a tapped hole in the area a barrel sight would be normally found?
CM

wonderwolf
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Nope, its half Oct half round only cut on the top of the bbl is for the front sight

http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2008/04/you-tell-themvaldez-is-coming-or-sharps.html

wonderwolf
10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Looking at the marbles flat top and buckhorn sights I think those will work out perfectly for what I'm after. I'll probably have to mess with some front sight blank blades but They should work out. I'll have to calculate what kind of range I can get out of those with the 50-140. Easy enough to do with a known distance and a wall you can make marks on.

montana_charlie
10-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Does it have a tapped hole in the area a barrel sight would be normally found?Nope, its half Oct half round only cut on the top of the bbl is for the front sight
Well, since you have to start from scratch, here are two pages of 'ladder sights' much like the one that normally comes on a Pedersoli Sharps.

The difference is, none of them need the 'base' or 'mounting screw' of the Sharps-type sights. They just slide into a dovetail.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,234.html
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,231.html

CM

Don McDowell
10-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's the Pedersoli "lawrence" sight for a heck of a price.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143256925

montana_charlie
10-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but...
It's the carbine version, not the wider 'sporting' sight.
CM

Don McDowell
10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
So that would matter because???????

montana_charlie
10-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Didn't say it would matter - just pointing out the difference.
Some people are picky that way...
CM

Don McDowell
10-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Bored people with no life or nothing better to do I would imagine....