PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ballisti-Cast Mark VI Lube/Sizer

finishman2000
10-07-2009, 04:07 PM
This all started when I got married again and was packing up the stuff from my home in NJ to move into my wife’s house in PA. I found things that I forgot I even had and in many cases didn't even remember where they came from.
I decided that I was going to decrease the quantity and increase the quality of all my reloading gear.
SOOOO....I sold off my lee 100's, my Dillon 450 and last but not least the Green machine that I never even set up. I purchased a new Dillon 650 loaded with everything that was available.
Next came the casting equipment. I decided that the ol'e 8 cavity H&G's were a work of art they were heavy and I didn't cast in years because of the wear and tear of using them. Add in the cheap cost of bought bullets I kinda fell out of casting. Well, when things went nuts last year I decided maybe I better get back into it. I sold off most of my old molds, a bunch of stars that I collected over the years and decided to get the best of the best, stuff that would last me the rest of my days.
First was the MasterCaster from Magma. I posted the video of that last week. It is a great tool and with a few improvements it is almost as fast as a 6 or 8 cavity mold but without the wear and tear.
Next it was sizer time.....I decided to keep the Lyman and RCBS for GC and small qty runs. Next were the Stars. I found them to be weak and seemed to always bend the handle and the ones I acquired over the years also always had a bend handle as well. I figured there had to be better machine out there. Esp since it has been around for soo many years pretty much unchanged. My search let me to Ballisti-Cast.
Seemed like a better mousetrap. Stronger and with all the features that we bolt onto the star built right into the design. I looked around the web and could find no info or vid's of the machine. There was NOTHING! I decided that this was the only option so I call them up, ask many question and ordered one up. I was told that it would be 3-4 weeks. Well 10 weeks later and many phone calls it came in. I thought all my dreams have now come true.
First off it is a stronger machine. It is also a simple machine. The Star has the spring/lever-cam bullet feeder and the BC has a wheel. Simple is usually good. The problem with the wheel is that it comes with 5 holes in it. An uneven amount that makes smooth operation impossible. The feel the boollit drop into the wheel then turn a little more to feel the other boolit drop into the die. It was double pumping and jerky. I didn't like this at all so I had my machinist machine another 5 holes in the wheel. Now both boolits drop at the same time which helps with the feeling of using the handle to press down. It also makes for less movement of the wheel which means faster...much faster.
Next was the punches themselves. Great idea of using a screw to set the height of the punch, but the problem was that you couldn't hold the punch while locking the set screw nut. Not a biggie but still a pain trying not to mess up the die with vise grip marks. Soooo again, I had my guy mill flat spots on the punch so I can use and adj wrench to hold. The punch system itself is easier to adjust, just forget how they tell you do it.
Then there is the boolit feed tube. It comes with a short plastic tube that holds like 15 boolits. Not a speed demon. Back to the machinist. I had him make a bushing that went into the stock feed arm and a slightly over 1/2" hole drilled through it. Next was to get some 1/2"id x 3/4"od plastic tube. I cut short pieces of the 3/4 to slide over the 1/2 and glued them to the right height. Then I drilled holes through the tubes so I could have my stepson pre-load them so I could just drop the tube into the bushing and pull the pin out. MUCH Faster.
Last but not least was the handle. No matter how I sat, over even stood there was no comfortable way to use the arm. Yes it massive and would NEVER bend, it wasn't going to work! So guess where I went back to??? I had him machine flats on the handle and thread a hole to accept a swivel handle that I ordered form Mcmaster-Carr. Does it make a difference? HUGE! Now I can sit down and really just bang them out.

It may sound that I'm not happy with the Mark VI. Not so. I'm very happy with it. It has a secondary heater right on the lube tube that preheats the lube making the base heater work easier and allowing faster rates. The disk feed is fast and simple. With the changes I made you will see in the video me run 40 boolits in about 35 seconds. The Star feeder might be able to do that rate as well but if you miss a stroke it kinda messes you up and breaks your rhythm.
Better mousetrap? I think so. I bet that they use some of ideas, I taked to Peter the owner and after explaining the added holes in the disk he said they were going to try 6 holes out. Most of the ideas i now use would be so simple for them to make part of the machine right from Ballisti-Cast
Watch the video and you decide.
CWK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTL5zz_azk

jameslovesjammie
10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you for the time, effort and investment for making this review. Thanks for the vid also...If a picture says a thousand words, that video said a million.

ANeat
10-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes great review finishman2k, Im a little suprised at the manual indexing for the bullet feeder, looks like your handle is a big improvement

finishman2000
10-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I actually prefer the wheel over the star spring-leverage-cam design. You can stop and reverse and also see when your out of boolits.
The handle coversion is a huge improvent in speed and comfort. Before i never could get the sweet spot not have a sore arm or shoulder. With the handle every position is a good one.

jdgabbard
10-09-2009, 06:08 PM
My goodness that thing is fast!!! Can I borrow it long term?????

angus6
10-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Cas just caught the vid , looks like you have it doing great

Ken 45LC
10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Thank you very much for doing the video. I have been debating on getting a star for awhile now, but this machine looks like a better design. I'll be placing a order sometime this fall.

Where abouts are you in Pa? Do you think i could send my parts to your machinist to have him modify mine too?

Thanks,
Ken

finishman2000
10-10-2009, 05:06 AM
i'm in stroudsburg. i have to believe that Ballisti will be doing the wheel with at least 6 holes by the time your would be ready to ship. If not ask them to. Peter the owner is a very nice guy and seemed open to changing the design for improvements. As a matter of fact he said that some of his people called mine a "gatling gun", i said i preffered mini gun myself lol. i'm going to send them the vid over the weekend and i'm sure they will see the handle as an improvement as well.

If not not my machinest will gladly do the work.
thanks cas

Ken 45LC
10-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Well keep us posted on what BC thinks of your mods, and what they intend to change. If they made the same changes you did, i'm sure it would help boost their sales. Plus your video has given them 100% more exposure, at least in my case. You might need to work out an advertising deal with them also.

Thanks again,
Ken

finishman2000
10-11-2009, 08:15 AM
i' really won't know what they plan to do. I wasn't knocking their product when I talked to them, I just wanted to let them know how I felt they could be better. The choice is theirs. I find it sad that they have great products, including the old H&G line, great service, you get the owner on the phone easily, but nobody knows about them and there is so little info online about them.
I think if you ask them to do the mod you want they will do them. They seem to be those kinda of people.

Echo
10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Impressive - Thanks, FM2000

Ken 45LC
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I have one other question; are the sizer dies BC only or can you modify other ones to fit this machine? Or am i missing something? I take it the wheel is caliber specific, correct?

Thanks,
Ken

finishman2000
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
they're actually star dies. They said if they're out of their own they'll buy them from magma. I've used lathesmiths, magma's and old stars, everything worked as it should.

Lloyd Smale
10-13-2009, 04:53 AM
nice write up! ive got a few buddys who use them and ive given them a run and i agree there probably a better setup then a star and if i ever harvest the money tree out back id probably pick one up myself.

PAI-Scott
08-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Any updates on the Mark VI?

Did Ballisti-Cast incorporate any of Finishman2000s changes?

Echo
08-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Isn't anyone going to fess up to watching 'Pretty Perky Bouncy'?

Naw - guys on this forum aren't interested in such foolishness.

Right...

Changeling
08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
So, what does the machine cost, how well does it actually lube the bullets. can it install gas checks, what are it's week points?

finishman2000
08-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I have made one more improvement. If there was an air pocket it was tough to get it out. I drilled and tapped a hole into the die area and then use a set screw to block it once air is out. Kinda like priming a pump lol.

PAI-Scott
08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Isn't anyone going to fess up to watching 'Pretty Perky Bouncy'?

Naw - guys on this forum aren't interested in such foolishness.

Right...

Yah, I got side tracked for a bit, but an hour or two later I remembered what brought me here to start with. :bigsmyl2:

Changeling
08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
WOW, no one answered, that means the price is ridiculous!

finishman2000
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
or we don't feel like doing your work for you.
It's called a phone. it has numbers on it. it allows you to talk to people to find out the information that you seek.

Doby45
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Its also called, just visiting their website.

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Price%20List.htm

Mark VI Luber Sizer (with the first 7 options below)............................................ ......... $600.00

Changeling
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
I guess it could also be called not enough roughage in "Your" diets!

Doby45
08-31-2010, 02:33 PM
WOW, and I even helped out by posting the stuff. The site, the product in question AND the price. For the love of all that is lubed and sized!

Springfield
08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
I like to put my sized bullets into styro trays(soft BP lube) so that manual indexing would suck for me. Plus I use softer lead so the handle strength of the Star has never been a problem. I do like the idea of the feeder wheel though, I am not always happy with the Star system. Mostly they need more tube options, 45 size and 38 size only doesn't always cut it.

101VooDoo
08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Its also called, just visiting their website.

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Price%20List.htm

Mark VI Luber Sizer (with the first 7 options below)............................................ ......... $600.00

Jeeze, for $600 you'd think it'd have a ratchet assembly of some sort to advance the wheel.

Jim

mpmarty
08-31-2010, 04:25 PM
$600 will buy a heckofalot of bud.

AbitNutz
08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
If I had more money than sense I would buy:

1) Mark VI
2) Magma Mastercaster
3) Dillon XL650
4) Honady LnL
5) Ponsness-Warren auto-drive
6) Mr. Bulletfeeder
7) Star lubrisizer
8) RCE Walnut Hill press
And every die, mold and neat widget I could lay my hands on. If it was lottery money I'd just have to build a facility to house it all...with an indoor rifle range, chronograph, ransom rest....Oh god, I think I'm going to pass out.

falcon1
01-12-2011, 03:33 PM
$600 will buy a heckofalot of bud.

Why waste $600 on cheap beer? :lol: