PDA

View Full Version : Gun powder cost up

Hardcast416taylor
10-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I stopped in at William`s gun shop yesterday on my way home from a Dr. appt. I was checking to see if any primers were on the shelves and perhaps get a lb. or 2 of pistol powder. No primers, big surprise, but a bigger surprise on the powder aisle. The price has gone up from 3 months ago of $22.95 to $25.95! This raise was on all makes they carry not just 1 brand raising their price. When I asked what happened at the counter, a counter "helper" simply said "either you want it or not"!:xRobert

jcwit
10-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Don't you like the arrogance of retail sales people today. I was raised in a different time with totally different attidudes towards the customer.

I'm afraid I'd would've said a few words not printable here and left,even if I would've spent a few dollars more elsewhere. Then called and reported the whole experience to the owners/management upon getting home.

stubshaft
10-07-2009, 05:36 AM
That's the current attitude in most gun shops now. Like it or lump it! I just bought a pound of powder at $32.95 to replace one that I used up in a month. It still had a price tag ffrom last month of $24.95. Don't even get me started on primers...

AJ Peacock
10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Robert,

That is why I try to avoid Williams when I can. Did you try Guns Galore over in Fenton? They even had a good selection of primers last time I was in there (about 6 weeks ago).

AJ

zomby woof
10-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I bought a pound of unique a month ago, $13.60.

1hole
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
"When I asked what happened at the counter, a counter "helper" simply said "either you want it or not"

Retail clerks take a lot of heat over things they have no control. Not surprising they get fed up with it but that's still not a good attitude.

Even so, price gouging is the store owners fault. I'd find a new source.

10-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I bought two pounds of powder yesterday. Paid a king's ransom, too. However, the store is the lowest priced of the only two in the area. It's all a matter of supply and demand.

As far as retail clerks taking heat over things they have no control -- as 1hole said -- I'll agree to a point. Having spent a career in commissioned sales, customers with attitudes try retail employees' patience. However, the person who Hardcast416taylor dealt with seemed to be the one with the attitude, and should be in another line of work that doesn't require personal contact with customers.

Relaying a poor shopping experience with the store's management will go a long way toward curing the problem. Provided the management isn't the source of the store's problems.

There are many businesses I don't patronize. A few I boycott because of their business or political philosophies. Poor customer service is the primary reason I refuse to cross the threshold of the others.

doubs43
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I suspect that the attitude of sales people is a reflection of society today. I worked as a checkout clerk for an A&P supermarket from 1960 through 1962 and the quickest way to lose your job was to be surly or disrespectful to a customer. If the customer had a problem, they were referred to the manager or assistant manager..... without fail. Just offering to call the manager to address the problem often calmed the customer.

OTOH, if a sales clerk were to respond to me as the one did to Hardcast, I'd ask for the manager and explain that I found the attitude offensive. If I wasn't satisfied with the manager's response then I'd find another source of powder. If necessary, get a group together and buy a large amount from an on-line retailer. Unless you're completely out of powder and don't know anyone to borrow a pound from, you do have options.

JRW
10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
A short story here re: service.

Cer salesman wanted to make him some $$ years ago, and found that the average number of invitations or announcements to go out for a wedding was 250. found that same number of guests for the average funeral. Thought long and hard, and figured when he sold a car, they would tell about 250 people of the event.

When he sold a car, he KNEW he was letting another 250 folks know of the business. Good or bad.

We can do the same thing by letting our contacts know of poor service, etc. and letting the owners know of our actions. Give them the chance to clean up the mess. JMHO.

Jim.

Hardcast416taylor
10-07-2009, 04:45 PM
As I said I was on the way home from a Dr. appt. and not feeling like bending my cane over the dolt`s head over the remark. I bought my Reloader 7 can of powder and left with a few grumbles about the staff at the cash register. I had a chat today with a long time friend, yes I do have a friend. He reminded that Williams sold out to a consortium of Doctors when the Williams boys were feuding over who would run the business after dad Williams finally passed on. After my recent medical adventure and now this, it all makes sense about Drs. putting the screws to us in more creative manners.

Hello Don Peacock! Sorry I haven`t gotten back with you. I hate to ride at all right now with my leg, let alone over to Fenton. Thanks for the insight though.:lol:Robert

JeffinNZ
10-07-2009, 05:17 PM
That is still 1/2 of what we pay in NZ. I bet our cousins in Europe pay a lot more.