PDA

View Full Version : nickle babbet ???

waco
10-07-2009, 01:55 AM
found a bar of alloy at work that says something to the effect of nickle babbet(dont have it in front of me) will nickle pose a problem???

sagacious
10-07-2009, 02:29 AM
I very much doubt that it will pose any problem.

In most babbit alloys, the copper or nickel is strongly bound to tin or antimony (or similar), and thus not at all available as a "free metal" to pose any problem as a minor consituent within a lead alloy. It's locked-up as a tin/copper or copper/nickel (etc) compound-- the same way that a percentage of the tin/antimony is bound-up in ww alloy. No worries, add to your alloy as if it were tin.

Hope this helps, good luck!

BABore
10-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Small amounts of both nickel and copper make fine additions to a boolit alloy. More beneficial for a HV alloy than your 44 mag. Makes the boolit tougher and less prone to fracturing. Your babbit is primarily tin, so you can treat it as such.

10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
A while ago one of our members, LUMPY, had a bunch he used regularly. I tried to buy a some from him, but it never happened. He was having a hard time and I think other factors got in the way. Haven't heard from him in a long time.

richbug
10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
A while ago one of our members, LUMPY, had a bunch he used regularly. I tried to buy a some from him, but it never happened. He was having a hard time and I think other factors got in the way. Haven't heard from him in a long time.

I got some from him in a trade. His instructions were to mix it one part to 10 with pure, and shoot it up to 3000 fps with proper lube and sizing. I haven't messed with it yet. My understanding is that it was quite expensive stuff.

My plan was to mix 1 part to 15 or 20 with range lead and see what happens.

Lloyd Smale
10-08-2009, 04:15 AM
nickel babbit is basicaly high speed bearing babbit and its fine to use. You can about consider it pure tin for use. Ive used a few hundred lbs of it through the years and never seen where the small ammount of nickle hurt or helped. It also has a small ammount of copper and antimony in it but again its not enough to help or hurt. Personaly i sure wouldnt waste it using it 10 to one to alloy pure though.

sheepdog
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Small amounts of both nickel and copper make fine additions to a boolit alloy. More beneficial for a HV alloy than your 44 mag. Makes the boolit tougher and less prone to fracturing. Your babbit is primarily tin, so you can treat it as such.

Problem is "babbitt" is about like "pewter" or "solder". Content is very suspect but generally good. Not that i have any experience with it but so I have heard.

clodhopper
10-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Lloyd is right,
If your ingot is marked nickle babbit or premium nickle babbit it is about 95% tin with some copper and antimony. If it acutally contains any nickle, it is an accident.
Read the MSDS on it.

badgeredd
10-12-2009, 08:08 AM
If it is "Genuine Nickel" babbitt, I've had quite a bit of experience with it. It makes a great sweetener for HV boolits as BABore said. The batch I have is 88-90% tin, plus a decent amount of SB and CU with a trace of PB. It'll toughen water dropped boolits significantly. A 5% babbitt with 50/50 pure/WW mix is an appropriate mix. I've found that 10% is of little if any advantage. Since the stuff is indeed expensive, a little goes a long way as a sweetener.

Edd

P.S. Check out Rotonickel on Rotometals web page for a fair analysis of a nickel babbitt. It'll give you an idea of what most nickel babbitt mixes contain and how expensive it really is.

waco
10-12-2009, 08:30 PM
thanks guys