PDA

View Full Version : Mold Cleaning

Grant
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Is a toothbrush and baking soda a good way to clean a mold? Will it do a good job of cleaning the air channels? Thanx Grant

10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Grant,

Brake Cleaner, because it gets rid of grease and oil.

For the vents, if you're clumbsy like me, a toothpick. If you have brain surgeon steady hands and tread lightly, something sharp like a dental pick.

runfiverun
10-06-2009, 11:54 PM
or an exacto.
if it's a regular mold heat it up and spray with brake cleaner wipe with rag then do it again,then cast some with it with hot alloy and bring the temp down as you go.
if its an aluminum boil it in water with dawn, then spray it off [w brake cleaner] and heat it up.

shotman
10-07-2009, 01:23 AM
soak in Kroil thats all you need. It will release the stuck lead and the exto or a single edge razor blade to run the vent lines. Dont wash the Kroil off

waco
10-07-2009, 01:29 AM
all i do to clean molds (iron and al) is scrub with brake cleaner, scrub with dawn dish soap and tooth brush, then boil in water for 10 minutes
has not failed me yet

Marlin Hunter
10-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Is a toothbrush and baking soda a good way to clean a mold? Will it do a good job of cleaning the air channels? Thanx Grant

A fine brass brush works. I would not have used it, but I sent a die back to Lee and when I got it back it was cleaned with a brass brush. No damage to the corners of the cavity.

stubshaft
10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I use a fine brass brush and Kroil on steel and just Kroil on Aluminum.