PDA

View Full Version : They were wheelweights once ......

Ohio Rusty
10-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Here is a pic of some of the great underspin jigheads I made from wheelweights. I was planning a Florida fishing vacation in July , but due to the layoff's from work, I had to cancel. I was planning on using swim baits for these for anything that would bite. I couldn't see paying $5.99 a piece for one Sworming Hornet underspin jig head. So ...I made my own.
I'll put them in the want to sell or trade area. Wheelweights make great fishing lures also !!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/Lures.jpg
Ohio Rusty ><>

madsenshooter
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Ah, someone from my old stompin grounds. Nice work there Rusty. Tried my hand at making lures myself back in the mid 80's. Too labor intensive to make any money with, but fun. You got a Netcraft catalog? They used to sell a nice minnow shaped curly tail that was dynamite on about any fish. I like this design, I was making spinnerbaits with the wire attachment, yours would eliminate some wire bending hassle. So where you from in Hocking County, aka "Upper Appalachia", to me at least. I'm originally from Murray City, but had to become a transplanted Buckeye due to economic conditions there in Upper Appalachia.

twotrees
10-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Those would make Great Walleye lures !!! Attach a night crawler or leach to the hook and catch the best tasting fresh water fish ever !!!

When Life hands ya Lemons, Make lemonade !!!

Good Fishing and good casting,

Firebricker
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice work Rusty ! twotrees has the right idea Lake Erie trip.
FB

Glen
10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
What on earth do you shoot those funny lookin' bullets out of?!? ;-)

waco
10-07-2009, 01:17 AM
those are shot out of one whale of a gun!!![smilie=w:
where in the great pacific northwest Glen?
oregon here

Tom W.
10-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Heretic! :kidding:

Leadforbrains
10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Heretic! :kidding:

AMEN BRUTHA PREACH IT!:kidding:

Calamity Jake
10-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I make 1/8 oz jigs to trade for WWs at some if the wet back tire shops around the area.

Ohio Rusty
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I know where Murray City is MadsenShooter !! I would go thru there headed over to Burr Oak Lake. Everyone in S.E. Ohio gets their ice from there. I'm actually between New Straitsville (Home of the Moonshine Festival) and Logan. I live on the edge of Wayne Nat'l forest.
They would make good walleye lures. I've done the Lake Erie charters before. My favorite eating fish is yellow perch. Even though the hooks and furniture is designed for saltwater, they would also do well in freshwater.
Ohio Rusty ><>

madsenshooter
10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I know where that Wayne National Forest boundary is on the roads from Straitsville to Logan, both 595, or 93. In my youth, I spent a lot of time riding motorcycles in Wayne National Forest and on Sunday Creek Coal Company land, back when you could go wherever you wanted. Murray City Ice, is actually an old Columbus Company, Murray City Coal and Ice. The company was purchased by Home City Ice back in the 1980s. When I was making my jigs, I found a little splash of red, just to the rear of where your swivel attaches, makes a big difference in fish catching. Wondered why for a long time, then seined a bunch of little ruby throated minnows out of some of the creeks over around Amesville. Looked them up once but have long since forgotten the name, a darter of some type. I was crappie fishing at Burr Oak once and made my girlfriend's daughter furious because I was catching them one after another with a jig that had a splash of red while she caught none, though the lures were otherwise the same. Come to think of it, I had to walk around the parking lot and find a little bit of red trash to put forward of the curly tail. Nice to meet you! Avoid that moonshine, it'll make you take back stuff you didn't even steal!

Ohio Rusty
10-08-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm on 93. The old logging road before you get to New Straitsville that becomes the Stone Church horse trail ends up as my driveway. It's great having such easy access to Wayne Nat'l. The ravines and trails behind the house serve as my shooting area ...... Opening day of hunting season, just get up, get dressed and walk out the back door into the woods .....
Thanks for the tip on the red.!! bet a touch of florescent red would add more attracting qualities .....
Ohio Rusty ><>

qajaq59
10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
My wife used to bass fish with those and they are killers on large mouths.