PDA

View Full Version : Reading Info.

Mojo^
04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
A bit OT so please forgive me. Now that I have jumped head long into the wonderful world of casting thanks to Ranch Dog could someone please recommend a book for me to read up on the how-to's and what-not-to do's of casting bullets including equipment needed, etc... I'm looking for a comprehensive volume that will cover most everything in detail from start to finish. Any help here will be greatly appreaciated.

versifier
04-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and Lee's Modern Reloading between them have plenty of what you're looking for. If you can find a copy at a show, etc., NRA's Cast Bullets by C. E. Harris has lots of good info, too, but has been out of print for a while. Just going over old posts here and copying relevant ones into a .doc file will help a lot.

Buckshot
04-23-2006, 07:57 AM
.........Yup, ditto the Lyman's Cast Boolit Manual. Load data is a bit dated and they show a lot of boolits they don't make anymore but the reference material is still there.

..........Buckshot

Ranch Dog
04-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Amen and let me apologize up front for hooking you on this habit. Sorry it was me as some times I would almost like to throttle the fellow that sent me my very first home cast bullets! :???:

I've got both books and really like the info in each. What really got me hooked was Lee's treatment of pressure vs. alloy as I always believed that cast bullet shooting and hunting was at a loss of performance compared to jacket bullets. Both are great reads.

Bret4207
05-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Lymans Cast Bullet Handooks, there's about 4 editions, I think the older ones are better, plus Lymans regular handbooks. RCBS has a Cast bullet handbook too. Lee's book is ok also. The NRA published at least 2 Cast Bullets guides I know of, both out of print. Wofles Publishing (Handloader/Rifle) had a hardbound "The Art of Castiing Bullets" plus their "Cast Bullet Annual" vol 1 +2. All very good. Going back aways- "The Complete Guide to Reloading" by Phil Sharpe (a veritable bible of info), "Handloading Ammunition" by JR Mattern, "Principles and Practices of Reloading Ammunition" by Earl Naramore- both have loads of good info although dated, I'd give the nod to Mattern, the man knew his stuff. Also pretty much all Elmer Keiths handgun books covered his thoughts on casting.

The CBA is supposed to have a good handbook going out to all new members. If I ever remember to re-up I'll have that too.

These days this site and the writtings of guys like C. Ed Harris, Glenn Fryxell, Paco Kelly and scads of everyday casters is available, up to date and usually on the money. -As with everything on the 'net, you discretion as there are no proff readers here and guys sometimes make mistakes or don't make clear what they mean.

David R
05-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Just hang around here to help feed your obsession. That is what I do.

David

steveb
05-24-2006, 09:47 AM
These days this site and the writtings of guys like C. Ed Harris, Glenn Fryxell, Paco Kelly and scads of everyday casters is available, up to date and usually on the money. -As with everything on the 'net, you discretion as there are no proff readers here and guys sometimes make mistakes or don't make clear what they mean.

Pacos book is a good read and has a cast loads section thats very informative. Heres a link if interested.

http://www.leverguns.com/store/paco_book.htm