PDA

View Full Version : Rather than a bruiser

Jack Stanley
04-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Rather than take out a rifle today that is a bruiser i opted for something a little lighter in the diet . a Browning model 53 chambered for the 32-20 :-D Using a light charge of bullseye and a H&G bullet meant for the 32-20 It chronographs at just under 1100 FPS if I remember right .
The oncoming rain ran me off the backyard way to soon , this rifle is just plain fun to use . One of these days I want to take it on a woodchuck safari and ruin the lives of a couple families of chucks .
One of the goals I've been wanting to get to is making up a load that runs about fourteen hundred feet per second using this same bullet . I think Clays or Unique might a good place to start , just got to get after it .

Jack

Jon K
04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Unique will do the job- 5.5 grains with a 115-118 RNFP 1350-1400 fps,shoots accurate. How is the chamber in the Browning? I had a Uberti, and the chamber was not only big, but rough. Be careful if the chamber has those conditions, it will head seperate cases, but polishing the chamber, allows the brass to flow better when hanging on the machine finish the brass tends to fail.

Jon

:castmine:

9.3X62AL
04-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a newer (2004 purchase) Marlin 1894 CCL in 32-20 that I'm really just getting started with. Its chamber seems to be less widely or deeply cut than its predecessor (Marlin 94CL) in that caliber. There seems to be a tendency to cut chambers for the hyphenated Winchester rounds rather generously in all dimensions--my Marlin 1894CL in 25-20 is kinda deep at the shoulder, and this was a common trait of this variant.

I got a lot of 200 Starline cases for the rifle, and their construction is a little sturdier than that of W-W or R-P brass. Upon firing, the Starline brass isn't lengthening nearly as much as the W-W and R-P brass does in either rifle or revolver. I'm not sure if the better chamber or better brass accounts for this, but it's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say.

omgb
04-23-2006, 10:17 AM
The chamber in my Browning is smooth as a baby's butt. It seems tight too. Cases require VERY little effort to resize and after 5 firings using 11 grains of 2400 and a 115 grain GC bullet, I have no stretching or case failures. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The throat is very short. I shoot those lee group buy bullets and one can feel them squeeze into the rifling when the lever is locked up.

Jack Stanley
04-24-2006, 10:40 PM
If I remember right I'm using a Redding sizer die that sizes cases as if the reamer cut both the rifle and sizer die . I've shot over a thousand rounds with this rifle and loaded each case at least once . It has behaved very well , Marlin could have done that with the CL I bought from them , but they didn't want a repeat customer so they gave me the razzberry .
More than likely i will make up some 5.5 of Unique loads for the lead bullets . It still would be fun to make up some 85 grain hollow points though :-D

Jack