PDA

View Full Version : Unique Powder in my Marlin 1894

Gene Perryman
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I just recently started using Unique in my 44 M Marlin 1894. The new Unique seems to be very clean, cleaner than the Universal I had been using. I don't shoot in Cowboy Matches, but I shoot CowBoy loads---6.0 to 7.0 grns. with 240 grn LSWC and LFP's.
It seems to be fairly accurate with this powder.....
I use a Pacific Pistol Powder Measure which has the the removable disks. My concern is that Unique does not throw good in my PPM, as much as a +/- 0.3 grns. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks,
Gene

Wally
10-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes, and here is how I solved it---
When your place the powder in the powder measure tap it ten times or so to settle the powder--then give it a light tap every time you pour the powder & then again when you charge the case. Doing so I can keep the charge w/i 0,1 grains with mine.

MakeMineA10mm
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Good advice from Wally. I'd add that the more consistent you operate the equipment the less variation from charge-to-charge you'll get, so try to do the tapping with the same force every time.

That said, if they're shooting accurate for you, don't let the variation cause unneeded worries. Other than the accuracy, safety is the other concern. At the load levels you're shooting at, a 0.3gr variation in either direction would not be unsafe.

Three44s
10-15-2009, 12:49 AM
What MakeMineA10MM said!!!

Three 44s