PDA

View Full Version : lead shot hardness?

JMtoolman
10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Gent's, I was given about 50 lbs. of used lead shot the other day. How hard is the alloy, and will it be ok for pistol bullets as is, or do I need to add tin or soft lead when smelting? And if I need to alloy it, what is the ratio for a medium hard lead for bullets. I don't have a clue what the alloy of shot might be, so I am in the dark on what to do. Thanks for any help. I also have a chance of getting more shot in the future. Best regards, the toolman.

Ricochet
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
There are several different alloys for shot. "Chilled shot" is pretty soft. "Magnum shot" isn't. You're likely to have the soft stuff. It's in all the cheap factory loads. I'd think of it as likely not too far from .22 bullets. Ought to be OK for most pistol loads as is. Enough antimony and arsenic's in it that it should harden considerably with quenching.

BABore
10-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Lawerance Brand shot is as follows;

Chilled Shot
Pb 97.5% (Lead)
Sb 2.0% (Antimony)
As 0.5% (Arsenic)

Magnum Shot
Pb 93.75% (Lead)
Sb 5.0% (Antimony)
As 1.25% (Arsenic)

Both will heat treat very well. Magnum shot + a bit of tin will HT to well over 30 bhn.

JMtoolman
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the information! The toolman.

tackstrp
10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
thanks for the infor on chilled shot . i have three bags new 1972 purchase of lawarnce i have been hauling around for 25 years across the US twice.

Think it is time ot melt it down and sitck in a blullet.

BABore
10-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't freak out when it doesn't melt right away. The graphite coating holds the pellets together very well. Stir it with your spoon to break it up.