PDA

View Full Version : Taylors and Company 1892 Rifle

The Virginian
10-06-2009, 03:25 AM
My wife wanted one of these and we picked one up at the Chantilly, VA gunshow this weekend. It was a pretty penny especially when she talked me into buying a Richards 1860 8" barrel conversion in .45 Colt, you know to go along with the rifle in the same caliber...but was it worth it. [smilie=l: My question is should this rifle be shot with standard or Cowboy squibs only or can it handle more horsepower?

cajun shooter
10-06-2009, 10:24 AM
The 92 action is nothing more than a scaled down 1886 and will handle some upper scale loads that will kill anything that you will encounter. It's a fun gun and can be used for plinking or serious hunting trips if the game is at 200 or less in range. If you want to become a little more knowledgeable with it buy the DVD that is offered by Steve Young at Stevez Guns in Port Arthur, Texas.

August
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
'92 is considered to be a strong action. The locking bars that come up to 'connect' the bolt to the frame make it so. Assuming proper steel, the '92 Winchester is as strong as the Marlin design and can be loaded to that level.

The Virginian
10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
That is good to know that it can handle the Ruger level loads if needed for hunting purposes. It is lighter than the Winchester 1873 we looked at and easier for my wife to use and it seems easier to shoulder quickly too.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey Virginian, does you wife have any unmarried sisters? :lol:

The Virginian
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Virginian, does you wife have any unmarried sisters? :lol:

Sorry, she is an only child, but most of the men at the show looked at her when she was telling me to put that open top in with the Taylor's '92 like she was some kind of new zoo specimen...something they have never seen or heard before. The looks on their faces were priceless because 99% of the women at the show were being dragged around there by the men, much the same way we are dragged around the mall. Funny how roles can switch.:-o

MikeSSS
10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Steve Young slicked my 92 and it's fast, smooth, reliable and trouble free. He did the same to my 94 Marlin and it runs the same as the 92. Never had a Marlin jam with it.