45ACP
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
1903-A3

Am I on the right track?

257 Shooter
10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Rock,

Welcome to the site. You will learn a lot here. Check out the group buy for ww aloy. Linotype is a little hard for the above applications. If you are still wanting to use linotype send a PM to DenverDuck. He had a lot of linotype a better price.

Rock
10-06-2009, 12:26 AM
The Weidners link above has 92% lead, 6% antimony, 2% tin for $1.52 shipped. (I think this is called "Hardball")

Group buy is 2% Tin, 4% Antimony, and .25% Arsenic for $1.79 shipped.

I'm too new to know for sure, but I'm guessing I don't need the arsnic for heat hardening, and it adds to the price.......

257 Shooter
10-06-2009, 12:26 AM
I see you are both in Kalifonia and you might be close enoug for a pick up.

Rock
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Is the group buy of modified wheelweights a superior alloy for casting? I only know price differences at this point. (darned new guys!)

Zbench
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Rock,

It's an alloy designed to be similar to Wheel Weights, but with some added Tin and a pinch of Arsenic. The Arsenic adds next to nothing to the cost. Tin is what costs the most. I may be biased as I am running the Group buy, but, I bought some of the "taracorp magnum" from a foundry which is exactly what you show above. The 6% Antimony makes for a brittle bullet and is overkill in my opinion. I had a hard time getting good fillout personally.

If you are getting started, I'd encourage you to get some commercially prepared alloy, regardless of the source. It just takes a couple of factors out of the mix that can cause problems. For a beginner, more Tin and less Antimony is better than the other way around.

You might consider trying a couple bars of the Lyman #2 which is a dream to cast with and is in stock and available at our site: leadandbrass.com

If you have questions, PM me or post them here.

Pete

Firebricker
10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Rock, Welcome to the site. This is just my opinion but I would definately try the group buy for modified WW alloy. As posted above 4% antimony will be less brittle which is good. And this alloy gives you a lot of options. You can water drop out of the mould to get a hard boolit. Air cool for mid range and if you need something softer cut it for 50/50 WW and pure. With WWs going away fast I'm glad Zbench is offering this alloy. When I get low I'll be ordering from Zbench. BTW you have some great calibers to cast for ! FB

runfiverun
10-06-2009, 11:59 PM
the 2/4 will do everything you need.
if you need hardness for the rifles you can waterdrop or heat treat fo bhn's of about 18-20 and around 28-30 or you can back temper for about 22

Rock
10-07-2009, 08:21 PM
the 2/4 will do everything you need.
if you need hardness for the rifles you can waterdrop or heat treat fo bhn's of about 18-20 and around 28-30 or you can back temper for about 22

What will the 2:4 do that the 2:6 won't do for me?

I'm presuming the 2:4 with arsenic is for advanced use somehow and thus not what I need as a beginner?

iron mule
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
hey Rock just the oppisite on that the 2-4 would be better for you to start with /// it will give you better mould fill out and not be as hard after casting than the 2-6 /// to put it simpler the 2-4 is eaiser to work with
mule

jsizemore
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Rock, try this, maybe it will help.

www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm