PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6.5 cruise missile mold

Jim
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I just got my mold in a little while ago. I went down to the shop and fired up the pot. The boolits are coming out at .272! Ya' think that's just a touch over size? I can't even get the bore ride section of the nose to go in the muzzle. Jeeesh! [smilie=b:
I called Lee to order a sizing die and the lady told me there's a 2 to 3 month wait. "Thank you, Ma'am, but I'll have to do something else, I can't wait that long.".I've got a PM out to Buckshot to see if he'll make one for me.

StarMetal
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I just got my mold in a little while ago. I went down to the shop and fired up the pot. The boolits are coming out at .272! Ya' think that's just a touch over size? I can't even get the bore ride section of the nose to go in the muzzle. Jeeesh! [smilie=b:
I called Lee to order a sizing die and the lady told me there's a 2 to 3 month wait. "Thank you, Ma'am, but I'll have to do something else, I can't wait that long.".I've got a PM out to Buckshot to see if he'll make one for me.

No not really, esp if you're shooting it out of a Swede. What alloy did you use?

Joe

jonk
10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd like that for my Carcano... :)

If it fits a fired case and chambers fine then I'd think you'd be good to go. But yes, in an ideal world I'd aim for .270 or slightly smaller. I size mine to .269 for my Swede.

Boz330
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I got mine in an hour or so ago so haven't cast anything with it yet, since I'm at work. I'm actually glad it is casting that big since I got mine for a Carcano which typically have 268 grooves.
I have more in the reloading casting stuff than I gave for the rifle.:groner:

Bob

303Guy
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
The boolits are coming out at .272! Ya' think that's just a touch over size? I can't even get the bore ride section of the nose to go in the muzzle. Jeeesh! [smilie=b:

That's not a problem. The boolit only has to go into the throat. Unless the barrel in question is 'out the box' new, there is a good chance the bore at the throat end is a little larger.

In desparation in trying to check boolits for fit, made a go/no-go guage. It is a case drilled and tapped through the primer pocket with a threaded rod locked in position. If the case 'bottoms' in the camber with a sample boolit in the neck it's a go and if resistance is met, it's a no-go. Sometimes the resistance is not enough to pull the boolit out of a sized neck, in which case it's still a go (but unreliable). This tool does not pull a test boolit out if it contacts the leade.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-335F.jpg

Just a thought - if you do have to size the bore ride section, you might think of sizing only enough to clear the leade and even then you might consider a slightly tapered die. (That would depend on the results from a slugging exersize).

Jim
10-05-2009, 05:42 PM
OK, good enough. I'll get Buckshot to make it .269.
Thanks, fellas.

StarMetal
10-07-2009, 07:03 PM
OK, good enough. I'll get Buckshot to make it .269.
Thanks, fellas.

Jim,

Get your sizer made to .268. What alloy did you use to cast the bullet?

Joe