PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe?

Naphtali
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I just bought a nearly N.I.B. Freedom Arms M97 45 Colt. Accompanying the revolver were handloads I've not heard used in Ruger Blackhawk-strength revolvers, or SAAs.

1. New Remington 45 Colt brass

2. CCI 300 primers

3. 9.6 grains Unique

4. Sierra 200-grain FPJ (.4515-inch diameter, Match, #8825)
The bullet appears to be one made for 45 ACP -- that is, very short, no crimp groove, no cannelure.

There are many, MANY of these loaded. How bulleted load performs is not terribly important. But I cannot find the load in my manual.

Is it safe?

BABore
10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Allant's website lists a 200 gr, Speer GD bullet over 9.8 grs of Unique and a CCI 300 primer. Velocity is listed at 1,048 fps in a 5 1/2" bbl.

I load my partner's hunting loads with a 454424 (250 gr), 9.5 grs. of Unique, and CCI 300 for his Ruger BH.

I don't see where these loads would be a problem in a FA if you can trust the reloader that put them together. As these are loaded with autoloader bullets, I would be paying attention to them setting back or moving under recoil as they're likely not crimped into a cannelure.

oldhickory
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
The load is fine, I use it in my Colt New Service. I don't shoot other people's reloads though, no matter how long I've known them, let alone a stranger. Chances are they're good loads, but...Are you willing to stake your life on it?

dubber123
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I avoid shooting other peoples loads, unless I really know them well. That said, I have fired a boatload of hotter loads than the one listed through my S&W 625 .45 Colt, and it's still as tight as the day I got it.

Naphtali
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Many thanks, guys. For my own peace of mind, I'm going to pull the bullets, dump the powder and load with my own components, excluding primer.

Shiloh
10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
The load is fine, I use it in my Colt New Service. I don't shoot other people's reloads though, no matter how long I've known them, let alone a stranger. Chances are they're good loads, but...Are you willing to stake your life on it?

Many thanks, guys. For my own peace of mind, I'm going to pull the bullets, dump the powder and load with my own components, excluding primer.

Sage advice by oldhickory.

You are doing the right, safe and sane thing by dis-assembling the ammo.

Shiloh