PDA

View Full Version : Identify this metal weight

Coheeba
10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I got a bunch of wheelweights and other stuff at a yard sale and this was in the pile. Never seen it before. Just wondering if anyone know what this is and what it's composition is.

Thanks in advance.

Dale53
10-05-2009, 11:46 AM
That is the same size and shape as Linotype ingots for the printing industry. I suspect that it what it is. If you have some linotype, cast some bullets with it and weigh them. Them use a small portion of this and see how it compares. Linotype has a BHN of about 21-22, if that helps.

If it is a linotype ingot it is GREAT to use as a sweetner of WW's. A really good magnum pistol bullet alloy is WW's/Linotype 5/1. It has all of the tin you need in the mix. I have actually used it with success as little as 8/1 (but YMMV). It will reach near maximum in hardness two weeks after cast.

Dale53

runfiverun
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
thats a lino pig.

hammerhead357
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Well it is cast in a lino pig mold. Now what it is can be anything but I would bet that it is linotype. A quick way to find out is to pick it up and swing it over the edge of an anvil or chunk of railroad rail. If it is lino it will break off where it hits. I used to do this a lot in order to get the pigs small enough to go into some old SAECO pots that I used about 25 years ago.
Oh yes you really don't have to hit it very hard if it's lino it will break and there should be good grains of lead, tin and antimony showing. I don't know how to describe this it just comes from practice...Wes