PDA

View Full Version : BFR 2 Coyotes 0

use enough gun
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I've been packing my BFR in 45/70 everywhere I go, so far I've seen 2 coyotes when I've had it along. Shot them both, first one was standing at 50 yards, second one was running quartering away at about 100 yards. I'm really impressed with this popgun. Dave:Fire:

Frank
10-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Great, another BFR owner. Details. Very exciting. Do you use a caller? Do you sit and wait, or do you go out looking for them? Did you use a cast boolit?

use enough gun
10-05-2009, 06:16 AM
This being the busy season around here I haven't had time to go out looking for them or do any calling. Just been chance encounters. 99% of my shooting with my BFR has been with cast boolits. I have to give special thanks to 44Man for sharing his loading info with me, without his help I'd still be stumbling around in the dark. I'm using the Ranchdog .460/350, 30 grains of 4759 with a magnum large pistol primer. It shoots way better than I can hold, amazingly accurate.
I've been using a mix of range scrap and wheelweights casting my boolits. With a gascheck and felix lube applyed they weigh 362 grains. Using this alloy and load it will penatrate through 3, 2-1/2 gallon plastic jugs filled with water and expand to 3/4" while retaining 99% of it's original weight. Straight wheelweights goes through 6+ jugs and keeps on going. Dave

475/480
10-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Those coyotes must be a LOT bigger than I remember :D . Good shootin.

Sean

Frank
10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Use enough gun said
I have to give special thanks to 44Man for sharing his loading info with me, without his help I'd still be stumbling around in the dark.
Same here. Or getting buried in literature and not knowing where to start. Amen brother.

with a magnum large pistol primer
Just make sure it's getting seated all the way. I was using a hand priming tool and it didn't make it. :mad: How did I figure that out? The tool was bottoming before the primer. I'm paying attention now. :violin:

txbirdman
10-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Frank,

Funny you should mention the primer thing. I was cobbling together a few rounds of S&W 460 using my 45 Colt dies the other day. I was using a Lee auto primer to seat the primers in the brass. When I tried to put the brass in the shell holder of my press to seat bullets I noticed that the primer had backed out of the unloaded brass. I couldn't even get it in the shell holder for the auto prime to reseat it. I had to decap and start all over again. Not all of the brass did this only 3 or 4 out of 20 rounds. Anyway after I loaded the ammo I rechecked the loaded rounds and everything appeared normal. That's the first time in 35 years of handloading I had that happen.

Frank
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't know what's happening there. What I do know is I have to seat a pistol primer in rifle brass with the only thing I have that does the job - priming with the press. The handheld RCBS doesn't go deep enough. It doesn't even go deep enough for normal priming! Maybe the Lee handprimer is better, but I'm using Federal primers and Lee says don't use it with Federal. So the press works good. I'll have to try it with the Auto prime again. But last time I used that, it gave me primers falling on the floor when it misses the jump! :violin:

44man
10-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I have a Bonanza priming tool but the fingers need adjusted for each case. I usually just grab the Lee hand priming tool.

Frank
10-05-2009, 11:45 PM
44man says
I usually just grab the Lee hand priming tool.
That's good to know that it works for you because you use Federal primers.

hammerhead357
10-05-2009, 11:51 PM
44man glad to see you post. I was getting worried about you. Either you have been away or I haven't seen your posts....Wes

44man
10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
44man glad to see you post. I was getting worried about you. Either you have been away or I haven't seen your posts....Wes
Well, I take a beating over the lack of information in gun rags these days. I sit back and take a breath now and then.
I have piles of old magazines with magic marker scribbles on the covers and can look things up quick. I suppose I have 4 or 5 with just the 45-70 data, upgrades, new powders, etc. Every caliber I need for myself and friends but now I just toss them after 10 minutes of reading.
I try to prod our writers to get more technical, do more work and bring back interest and information. I would love to get out the magic markers again. But I get called names because I find more shooting interest in Organic Gardening. :kidding:
I am still here until I get booted off! :lol:

Three44s
10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Those coyotes must be a LOT bigger than I remember :D . Good shootin.

Sean

Not if you try.

One very early morning ......... as I drove to the hay fields to bale ........... I encountered a rare find:

A DUMB coyote!

I did not have a rifle along but had my .44 mag Redhawk (7.5") with factory irons.

There in the 4am darkness stood a coyote at 70 yds. in my high beams .......

I braced for the shot and drew a careful aim. The light colored 'ote was just the ticket to contrast my black sights ....... where there was no coyote ...... there was unseen but never-the-less sights.

As I fired, the coyote was shifting left then right and back to left and I ended up flanking him .......... he "popped a wheely" ....... and ran off.

At daylight I checked and found a blood trail.

To this day, I can hear my Dad:

Oh ........ you shot a coyote with THAT big of a bullet?

Oh .......... he's DEAD! ............... but after a brief pause .............

................ WHAT ........ you shot at a coyote with a handgun?????????

.............................. OH ............. PISTOLS ARE WORTHLESS .....................

.................. PISTOLS ARE WORTHLESS ..............!!!

Me: Teeeee Heeeeeee ................. (dead .......... is DEAD)

Him: ......... more ............. "Pistols are worthless" ............

Three 44s

use enough gun
10-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Yep....pistols are worthless alright.[smilie=1: As with my 1895 in 45/70, I generally don't have to shoot anything more than once with my BFR. And you don't have to wonder if you hit the critter, you can plainly hear the bullet smack home and watch the critter drop or go tumbling. Dave

9.3X62AL
10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Handguns WORTHLESS??!! Bald HERESY!

Ahem.......

Frank
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM
9.3 X 62AL writes
Handguns WORTHLESS??!! Bald HERESY!

Gun rags. I like to put'em in a vice. They make good soft jaws. :)

44man
10-07-2009, 10:24 AM
9.3 X 62AL writes
Gun rags. I like to put'em in a vice. They make good soft jaws. :)
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
Somehow I get American Handgunner??? My daughter must have signed me up for it. It is nothing more than a Sears catalog filled with fancy pictures. Talk about a worthless rag and I would use it like the old timers did with old catalogs, outhouse necessities but pages are too shiny.
Most comments are half a page with 3 pages of pictures.
There are more ads then Better Homes and Gardens! :killingpc
I miss the days I could read a rag for a week instead of 5 minutes.
What easy money writing, OOPS, NOT writing for that rag.

bobke
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
handloader and rifle from wolfe the only ones i subscribe to anymore.