PDA

View Full Version : Ham and Bean time!

waksupi
10-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, the weather is cooling off, a perfect time for ham and beans.

Navy beans
Ham
2 cubes chicken bullion
3 medium onions
garlic to taste
green pepper
carrots
1/2 t celery seed
1 t dried parsley
1/2 t Basil
1/4 t Savory

Edit - Forgot the bay leaf!

Better make some fresh corn bread to go with it!

LIMPINGJ
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Not like yours but we had a ham with a pot of red beans and rice for lunch after church today.

TCLouis
10-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I cooked mine last weekend.
Pintos instead of whites though.

Yep, cornbread baked in a skillet to go with em.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm good

Bodydoc447
10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
We are having Senate Bean Soup tonight. Hopefully, with a skillet of cornbread. I'm hungry already!! The recipe is very similar to your ham and beans.

Doc

jawjaboy
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
You can't buy this at Applebees or The Olive Garden.

Dry pinto beans loaded down with leftover baked ham. Turnip greens fresh from the field and a pan a Ma's cornbread(not sweet). A meal fittin fer a King. Have mercy.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IMG_0234.jpg

Triggerhappy
10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Well, I wasn't hungry until I read this post. I had some hot pinto beans with ham shanks today for lunch. A coworker made them in a crock pot with lots of hot chiles. As Tony the Tiger says, "They're great!"

The wife and I were talking while cooking dinner this evening that it's about time to start cooking beans about once a week with the cold weather coming on. Can't wait.

Triggerhappy
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Beans beans, the magical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So eat some beans with every meal

elk hunter
10-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Talk about like minds, I made up a big pot of ham and beans and a pan of cornbread today. Just as I was putting the cornbread in the oven the wife told me to call an old friend and invite him over. I did and we enjoyed. The wife will eat ham and beans, but doesn't really care for them, says they give her gas. She wouldn't let me give the two dogs a taste as they might give the dogs gas. Oh well, that just leaves more for me.

Bad Water Bill
10-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Iry adding some parsley to the mix. It helps get the gas out.But then you do not toot. :)

dale2242
10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Now you`ve done it. Ric. Have to pick up ham hocks this morning. Make a pot.....dale

winelover
10-06-2009, 08:51 AM

The version I heard it was:

Beans, Beans are good for your heart.
The more you eat, the more you fart.
The more you fart, the better you feel.
So eat some beans with every meal.:bigsmyl2:

Winelover [smilie=l:

rugerman1
10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Now you`ve done it. Ric. Have to pick up ham hocks this morning. Make a pot.....dale

Dale,
Don't forget the sunny delight and squirt! :mrgreen:

wickerbill
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Didn't use ham, but my wife fixed pintos tonight with a whole slab of sliced salt pork(smoked), onion and a little garlic. Fixed a big skilet of cornbread to go with it.(The cornbread was cooked in the rendered fat from the salt port.)
Bill

wickerbill
10-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Took the left over beans and made a big pot of chili(sorry, I;m not in Texas so I use beans) and man it was good.
Bill

Sprue
10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Huh... was just about to Post a new thread on this very same topic and saw this one.

I just love the winter menus....

Last week it was Navy Beans and Cornbread, the following day the beans became Chili.

Today is Vegetable Soup & Buttermilk Cornbread. Heres an old picture but you get the idea. Yummy!

Now if I could only find some fresh Kale[smilie=b:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/Soup.jpg

hoss-noogy
12-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Huh... was just about to Post a new thread on this very same topic and saw this one.

I just love the winter menus....

Last week it was Navy Beans and Cornbread, the following day the beans became Chili.

Today is Vegetable Soup & Buttermilk Cornbread. Heres an old picture but you get the idea. Yummy!

Now if I could only find some fresh Kale[smilie=b:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/Soup.jpg

Sprue,
Are we starting the dinner pics here? It would be neat with the guns and the cast boolits.

Gee_Wizz01
12-21-2009, 11:55 PM
This thread has just been resurrected at the right time. I was just looking at the bag of pinto beans in the pantry! I soak them over night, rinse and then add about 1/4 lb bacon and 4 or 5 sliced fresh jalapenos. Then cook all morning finishing up in time for lunch. Now I just have to convince the other half that cornbread is NOT supposed to be sweet! The best part about beans is they get better every day. My dad says an old cowboy told him that when you cook beans you should put a green mesquite twig in the pot with one end resting on the top edge of the pot -- so the farts could climb out. :groner:

G

Multigunner
12-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Heres my Christmas present to you guys, my personal Cornbread recipe.
First while warming the oven (375-400) put a medium small cast iron skillet on the stove eye were the oven exhaust comes through, the gentle heat is to melt two to three tablespoons of butter, not margarin but real live butter, while you prepare the rest.
Use about a cup and 1/4 of self rising cornmeal,( a bit more or less is not critical) in a mixing bowl. Add one whole egg, stirring egg till its a crumbly mix with the cornmeal, Then add a splash of milk, not much cause baking would evaporate much of it and alter the taste, stir a bit, then add a little water at a time while stirring till you have a batter ,(not too thin).

By now the butter should be melted and the oven warm, the skillet will also be warmed nicely. pour as much of the butter into the batter as you like, and add a little salt to your own taste. mix then pour batter into still buttered skillet.

With the prewarmed skillet bread should be done in about 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

PS
Dad was a Cook in the Brown Water Navy in WW2, so Navy Beans were a common staple here. Dad had managed a restaurant before WW2 and taught mom how to cook.
I found his USN cook book awhile back, unfortunately recipes are for 400 servings at a time.
One day I'll try dividing these by 100 and see what I can make from them.

Dale in Louisiana
12-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Not a thing wrong with this recipe.

I throw my little cornbread skillet in the oven when I start it preheating, though, and prepare the batter while the oven is preheating. When the oven is heated, so is the skillet. I toss in a pat of butter or spoonful of bacon fat, swirl it around to coat the bottom and sides, then dump in the batter. It gives the cornbread a thicker crust, and I like that.

Dale in Louisiana

Gray Fox
12-22-2009, 10:28 PM
If you want a great pot of whatever beans you're cooking, go to a Honey Baked Ham store if you have one nearby and tell them you want to buy a ham bone. They're left after they do the spiral ham platters and there's usually lots of meat left on the bone. Add whatever seasonings you like and cook 'til all the meat falls off the bone and enjoy! A side of slaw and cornbread and what's not to like. Happy Hollidays to all!

GSM
12-23-2009, 02:55 AM
+1 on Gray Fox!

That bone makes a lot of difference. Much better than just diced ham. Don't know if it is the marrow, or what, but a bone adds a lot to the beans - navy, pinto, speckled, or whatever.

Mmmmm. Keeps you going in the winter and tight times. 1 bag of beans = about a week's worth of meals.

crowbuster
12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
beans beans the musical fruit
the more you eat the more you toot
the more you toot the better you feel
so lets have beans for every meal

Interesting how there are many versions.

C.B.

Calamity Jake
12-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Got to have fried tators with the H&B's

Lee
12-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Kale? Sprue, try contacting MamaObama. If it is true, you'll find an internet post describing her trials and tribulations in trying to "feed the engines of the first family".
I'll see if I can find it and repost. If true it is an entertaining look at just how transparent and air-brained our fearless leaders really are. If not true, well, then I'm in for an apology............

Lee
12-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi-Ho, The Derry-Oh

Hi-Ho, the Derry-O
By Dana Milbank
Friday, September 18, 2009

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?
Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:
The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.
Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"
Cowbells were rung. Somebody put a lei of marigolds around Obama's neck. The first lady picked up a straw basket and headed for the "Farm at Sunnyside" tent, where she loaded up with organic Asian pears, cherry tomatoes, multicolored potatoes, free-range eggs and, yes, two bunches of Tuscan kale. She left the produce with an aide, who paid the cashier as Obama made her way back to the limousine.
There's nothing like the simple pleasures of a farm stand to return us to our agrarian roots.
The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons.
The promotion of organic and locally grown food, though an admirable cause, is a risky one for the Obamas, because there's a fine line between promoting healthful eating and sounding like a snob. The president, when he was a candidate in 2007, got in trouble in Iowa when he asked a crowd, "Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?" Iowans didn't have a Whole Foods.
For that reason, it's probably just as well that the first lady didn't stop by the Endless Summer Harvest tent yesterday. The Virginia farm had a sign offering "tender baby arugula" -- hydroponically grown, pesticide free -- and $5 for four ounces, which is $20 a pound.
Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it's hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound. Rounding out the potential shopping cart: $4 for a piece of "walnut dacquoise" from the Praline Bakery, $9 for a jumbo crab cake at Chris's Marketplace, $8 for a loaf of cranberry-walnut bread and $32 for a bolt of yarn.
The first lady said the market would particularly appeal to federal employees in nearby buildings to "pick up some good stuff for dinner." Yet even they might think twice about spending $3 for a pint of potatoes when potatoes are on sale for 40 cents a pound at Giant. They could get nearly five dozen eggs at Giant for the $5 Obama spent for her dozen.
But whatever the socioeconomics, there can be no doubt that Obama brought some serious attention to her cause. Hundreds of people crowded the market entrance on I Street as police directed pedestrians to alternative subway entrances. Hundreds braved a light rain and gave a hearty cheer when Obama and her entourage took the stage. "I can't imagine there's been a day in the history of our country when people have been more excited about farmers markets," Mayor Adrian Fenty, Obama's warm-up act, told the crowd.
The first lady, in gray slacks and blue sweater, marveled that the people were "so pumped up" despite the rain. "I have never seen so many people so excited about fruits and vegetables!" she said. (Must be the tender baby arugula.)
She spoke of the global reach of her cause: "The first thing world leaders, prime ministers, kings, queens ask me about is the White House garden. And then they ask about Bo."
She spoke of the fuel fed to the world's most powerful man: "I've learned that when my family eats fresh food, healthy food, that it really affects how we feel, how we get through the day . . . whether there's a Cabinet meeting or whether we're just walking the dog." And she spoke of her own culinary efforts: "There are times when putting together a healthy meal is harder than you might imagine."
Particularly when it involves a soundstage, an interpreter for the deaf, three TV satellite trucks and the closing of part of downtown Washington.

Lee
12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
"The world's most powerful man"???? Oh...poop

Dale in Louisiana
12-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Here's a link to the 1902 edition of the US Navy "General Mess Manual and Cookbook (http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/genmessmanual.htm)". Page sixteen has a bean soup recipe starting with five gallons of beans.

Dale in Louisiana

Walter64
01-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Just use caution and DON'T put too much faith in a fart.

exile
01-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Ham is our traditional holiday meal around here, so we have been feasting on ham and bean soup since. It is my favorite meal, believe it or not. My roommate in college used to hate it when the dorm would serve bean soup, I always went back for more.

exile

Dale in Louisiana
01-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Says Walter64:

"Just use caution and DON'T put too much faith in a fart. "

Bad Day Tanking (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=141)

Dale in Louisiana

Walter64
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Says Walter64:

"Just use caution and DON'T put too much faith in a fart. "

Bad Day Tanking (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=141)

Dale in Louisiana

Dale In Louie, "Tanks a lot, that was a good one". LM*O..

shooterg
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
ANY kinda bean and a country ham hock with cornbread makes my mouth water....

Insteada food stamps, beans and corn meal should be given out(with a few eggs and some milk, maybe) and we could maybe even afford the new health plan !

Dale in Louisiana
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
shooterg--

They USED to do that. The "poor" got an issue of "commodities", staples like cornmeal and beans and flour and grits and cheese and butter. Mom used to trade cash to some of the "poor" for the commodities because that big block of butter was good, and so were the grits and cheese and we were a single income family with four kids on Dad's paycheck.

The "poor" had to actually cook meals with commodities, unlike taking their welfare debit cards to the store to by instant everything and prime cuts of meat while paying for tobacco and alcohol with the cash they always seem to have.

Dale in Louisiana

ohshooter
03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Remeber there are 2 kinds of corn bread. Not sweet to go with your ham & beans. Sweet warm corn bread with butter and maple suryup for a dessert.

frankenfab
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Not a thing wrong with this recipe.

I throw my little cornbread skillet in the oven when I start it preheating, though, and prepare the batter while the oven is preheating. When the oven is heated, so is the skillet. I toss in a pat of butter or spoonful of bacon fat, swirl it around to coat the bottom and sides, then dump in the batter. It gives the cornbread a thicker crust, and I like that.

Dale in Louisiana

That's how I do it. I like the fried crust. Ham hocks are the bomb! Pork fat rules!:bigsmyl2:

frankenfab
03-29-2010, 10:59 PM
shooterg--

They USED to do that. The "poor" got an issue of "commodities", staples like cornmeal and beans and flour and grits and cheese and butter. Mom used to trade cash to some of the "poor" for the commodities because that big block of butter was good, and so were the grits and cheese and we were a single income family with four kids on Dad's paycheck.

The "poor" had to actually cook meals with commodities, unlike taking their welfare debit cards to the store to by instant everything and prime cuts of meat while paying for tobacco and alcohol with the cash they always seem to have.

Dale in Louisiana

Ok, so do you have the secret cheese grit recipe, or not, man!?

It's amazing how when you get older, alot of the advice your parents gave you about food was right. Beans, rice, and pork are good, affordable foods!

trapperP
03-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Ah, corn bread, beans & ham, cole slaw, sweet iced tea - big oold slice of sweet white onion! Food for the gods, for sure. I read with no small interest all the variations and thought I would post up some of my own. When I make cornbread, I use a mix - the bag with the little scare crow on the side [don't know if we can mention brand names or no] but with a difference, with a difference! I take a cup of mix, add one well beaten egg, 1 Tsp of salt and 1/2 Tsp of sugar. Before you preach, listen up - that little dab of sugar makes a ton of difference in the texture of the crust and it will not taste sweet - trust me. Now add just a splash of milk, stir well and see if you need more liquid - if so, use more milk or water but extra milk will alter the taste somewhat as someone has noted.
Now, for the important part - let the mixed up batter sit for something like a half hour as this will let the meal soak up and soften somewhat. Put the cast iron skillet in the oven, preheated to about 400 degrees, or on a burner to heat up, now add about 2 TBS of shortening. When it is hot, just about to the smoking stage, give the batter a quick stir and pour it into the skillet.
Bake for about 15-17 minutes ot until a rich, golden brown. Turn out of the skillet upside down on a plate and get the butter, you are just now ready to eat!