PDA

View Full Version : Checkering

Beekeeper
10-04-2009, 09:19 AM
It is the only part of stockmaking I haven't tried.
I am at a low point as the old energy has reached a low point and thought learning something new might spark it again.
Looking for suggestions from some one who has learned it or done it.
What tools?
patterns?
how to practice/
On what?

Any replies helpfull.

Jim

deltaenterprizes
10-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Check out Brownell's catalog for tools.

cowboyt
10-04-2009, 10:42 AM
check out the GUNLINE tools and start with the 5 tool set and 18 line spacing, it helps a little to get a book, I'll dig out mine and find out the name, and pick up some old junk stocks from anywhere- I don't use a stock cradle but make sure you have very good light and no distractions and have fun!!!
cowboyt

stocker
10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Start by getting Monty Kennedy's book " Checkering and Carving of Gun Stocks". I still consider it the best source of methods, tool making, patterns and technique. I still make most of my own hand cutters but did acquire a power checkering tool a few years back which saves a bit of time for linitial layout of lines. Some of my spacers and cutters are nearly 50 years old and just about worn away from re-sharpening.

Brownells sells short lengths of drill rod which is ideal for making cutters. A few files and a soldering torch is basically all that's required to make the cutters. That and a good eye and patience. Or you can buy commercial cutters but I never found any that cut to my satisfaction. I haven't tried carbide hand cutters and they may be a different kettle of fish.

roadie
10-04-2009, 02:06 PM
All good advise you're getting, I studied Kennedy's book then grabbed a junker stock and started. I can't learn well by reading, I have to do it, but the book gives you a very good insight.

I use Dembart tools, they are cheap enough that you don't have to make your own, I have never used a power checkering tool but those I've talked to that do absolutely love them for the time they save.

I would start with simple two piece patterns, one piece are definetly a horse of another color.

I have always made my own patterns, stocks are so different to one another that standard patterns usually don't fit without a lot of farting around.

You can checker quite well without a checkering cradle, but I would advise getting or building one, there is nothing quite as heartbreaking as slipping and screwing the whole job and having to wipe it out and start again. There's only so much wood to play with too. If you build one, go overkill, you'll be glad you did.

The most important thing on layout is to get the lines dead straight and keep the cutter perpendicular to the surface as you follow the curves of the stock. I've used brass shim stock for layout lines, works well and a good flexible straight edge. And stay well back from the edge if you try borderless, those lil nicks will drive you crazy. The border will look very similar to the Grand Canyon before it cleans up.

Patience and good layout will carry you a long way in checkering as well as most other gun work.

roadie

leftiye
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Plus one on - get some checkering tools and a piece of wood and start figgering it out. Layout at first is IMPORTANT. So is keeping your tool perpendicular to the wood AT THE PLACE WHERE IT HAPPENS TO BE (the tool must curve with the surface). Basic layout is two lines diverging at 60 degrees - preferrably in the center of your pattern. On a wrap around pattern (or a round piece) as on a wrist this is on top of the wrist. Use tape to set your pilot lines to curve with the piece.

quack1
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Lots of good advice here. A couple things I would add- practice on an old stock or two, rather than a flat piece of wood, you want to learn how to keep your lines straight on curves. Just about anybody can make straight, parallel lines on a flat. If you keep your wrist and arm parallel to the line you're cutting, it will be easier to keep the lines straight.
I don't know about anyone else, but some days I can checker like crazy for hours and some days I can't cut two parallel lines. Don't know why, but when one of those days comes along, I just do something else.