PDA

View Full Version : .32 Winchester Special

Avery Arms
10-04-2009, 03:49 AM
A while back I picked up an old (1.2 million SN) model 94 as part of a package deal. It has a nice little offset mounted weaver 2.5 and a great bore but the receiver has been drilled multiple times to mount sights so it's only marginally collectible.

Thing is it's in .32 W.S. and I don't have a single round to my name and I already have lever guns in .357, .44, .45, .30-30 and .35 rem.

In it's defense I have piles of .30-30 brass and am fixing to order an 8mm RNFP mold for my mausers so all I would really need to buy special is a set of dies and a .322 sizer.

Does the .32 WS offer anything "special" in terms of stopping power or compatibility with cast bullets or is it just redundant with .30-30?

PP

jtaylor1960
10-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Although factory loads are almost identical you can gain a little with handloads.There is an article by Mic McPherson at www.levergun.com.The 32 is one of my favorite calibers.I load and cast for it. I have a Mountain Molds 200 gr. mold .I just cast some bullets yesterday.I want to work up a hunting load for it in a Marlin I have.I make my brass from 30/30 to save money.I don't have a 30/30 so It won't get mixed up.

Bret4207
10-04-2009, 08:37 AM
If you do a search here on "32 Special" you should come up with scads of info. While ballistically similar, the 32 has a more cast freindly twist and the extra diameter provides and bit more weight and frontal area for hunting. The expansion ratio is also a bit more cast friendly.

There are plenty of folks looking for a "using gun" if you decide to sell. You won;t get top dollar, but you might get more than you think.