PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Bands

no34570
10-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi Fellas
I have a Citadel Martini Henry in .303British that I bought early this year,I'm doing some wood work to it,as the stock has been butchered by the previous owner,well I should say the for-end.

It came with the barrel been cut down to 24 in and re-crowned (the original barrel too),the for-end was split in several places,but still holding together,just.

I am using a SMLE No1 MKIII* stock that I cut down from the front action screw and fitting it to the Martini,that is an eye opener doing that,I have the stock nearly 90% finished in the fitting area,but need a barrel band.

I have the original barrel band off the SMLE,but for it to fit,it needs the woodwork to be put on the top of the barrel and I don't want it.
Although it is on the gun at the moment with a piece of wood under the band.

How do I work out what size barrel band I might need?
Barrel diameter,plus for-end diameter,would that be it?
Where would I get one?(Brownells only have Ruger Barrel Bands)

I'm going to have no SMLE hardware on it at all(the forend I mean)and I am going to fill the screw holes in with wood plugs & filler and were the safety ears go on the rear sights,have them filled up in the side of the stock.
And of course sand it back and stain it.
The rear stock has had some splits in it too,but have repaired them and will do that up as well.
Any thoughts & help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance mates
Cheers