View Full Version : #105 from GI Brass

TCLouis
10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Big round light green flakes.

Anyone here using any?

Caliber, boolit, chrono results?

sargenv
10-04-2009, 12:59 AM
I have some # 102 that was listed as similar to Accurate #2 improved.. Am wondering if #105 is Accurate #5?

TCLouis
10-04-2009, 10:03 AM
It was listed as #5 speed.
Surely someone here has run some across a chronograph.
Loaded it in the 38 spl, 357, 44 Mag or some such.

His last batch of WC 820 did not last long, sure glad I snagged some when I did. so far the 44 Maggies seem to like loads in the AA#( loading data range.

Ricochet
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I've got some of that #102. It was claimed to be the same powder as Accurate #2.

Guesser
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I had some 105 about six years ago, it loaded at AA#5 levels, clean and stable, wish I had more.

Lloyd Smale
10-07-2009, 05:53 AM
had a jug a while back but didnt buy more. It wouldnt meter good enough to use on a progressive and im not about to start weighting pistol charges.

StanDahl
01-28-2010, 01:42 AM
I've got some, but it's meters so poorly that I haven't used it yet. What I did do was go through my sources and find loads that corresponded to my Lee dippers data and various bullets.

I very carefully and as consistently as possible dipped 10 dippers full with each dipper to find the actual weight on a scale, and they were reasonably consistent, but not good enough to use too close to a maximum load. The smallest I tried was the 0.3cc, and the values I got were from 2.1 - 2.5 grains. The largest, the 1.0cc, ranged from 7.8 - 8.4 grains, which could even be dangerous, I suppose. I could usually tell when it was going to be off, because the flakes would catch on each other and some would be compressed into the dipper as I skimmed extra flakes off the top.

I think that this stuff will have to be weighed. And I bought 5 lbs of the stuff. (maybe 8?) It had better be the best powder I have ever used, or I'll be pretty unhappy.

I haven't loaded any up yet, so I guess this post is pretty useless. Sorry.

StanDahl
02-21-2010, 01:59 AM
Just so I'm good for something around here, I loaded up 50 rounds of .357 mag with this stuff (#105, lot # 71195) last week and launched it downrange today.

.357 magnum R-P nickel plated brass, once fired
358311 RN lubed with Felix lube...wheelweights, Bhn 14-15 on my Cabine Tree gizmo
CCI 550 magnum primers
Accurate Arms most recent load data for AA#5, lowest to nearly highest, 8.1 - 8.9 grains
Ruger Blackhawk (3 screw)

At 20 yards, the best groups were 8.2 - 8.3 grains, approx. 2" groups from a sandbag rest. The rest were pretty bad. I didn't fire the last two top end loads. It was a sporty load, with a pretty big kick. No leading, but it was hard on my sandbag! No crony data. Primers were flattened on all but the lowest loads, with striated impressions of the firing pin bushing(?), or whatever that's called stamped on the primer. The lowest load was put together with one set of 5 crimped in the crimp groove, longer than specified, and one set crimped above the driving band, which is the only way to get the 1.590" OAL recommended. The rest were to the recommended 1.590" length. Brass dropped right out of the cylinder on the lower end loads, and had to be coaxed out with heavier loads. All loads were weighed on a Lyman/Ohaus scale, because this stuff meters like potting soil.

My conclusion, based on this limited usage: No more accurate than other powders that meter much better through a powder measure, and I've still got about 5 lbs of it left,(maybe 8?).

Shiloh
02-21-2010, 11:15 AM
How does it meter??

I am still shooting surplus AA #5 purchased from a guy who ran an indoor range. Had him put it in cleaned Melaluca detergent bottles for me. $9 a pound pickup. No HAXMAT!! I have only several pound left.

The stuff I have looks, meters, chronograph's virtually identical to cansister AA #5

Shiloh

KYCaster
02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Here's a link from 2006 with quite a bit of info including my experience.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6627&highlight=Bartlett+%23105

Jerry

TCLouis
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Shiloh
I think Bartlett also had a sperical powder that was like AA #5.

The #105 is big ol round flakes. I do not have the lot # handy, but all loads I have chronographed with mine lead me to treat it more like Unique.

I have not shot any of it in 357 though.

One loading in the 45-70 is so accurate that I will likely burn it all there, 10.5 grains at a time for 1105 fps using Ranch Dog 350 grain PB Boolit (378 in my alloy).

StanDahl
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I just got a Belding & Mull powder measure from Axman on the Swapping forum here, and gave it a try today. I got a big grin as I realized that it could easily measure out very consistent amounts of this 105 stuff, time after time. I have to tap it to make sure the secondary chamber is filling, but 9 out of 10 times the load was spot on. When it was off, it was only by a tenth of a grain. [smilie=w:

Shiloh
03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Shiloh
I think Bartlett also had a sperical powder that was like AA #5.

The #105 is big ol round flakes. I do not have the lot # handy, but all loads I have chronographed with mine lead me to treat it more like Unique.

I have not shot any of it in 357 though.

One loading in the 45-70 is so accurate that I will likely burn it all there, 10.5 grains at a time for 1105 fps using Ranch Dog 350 grain PB Boolit (378 in my alloy).

Thanks TC!!!

Appreciate the response!!

For $16 more I get canister AA#5
I KNOW how that meters!!

Shiloh