PDA

View Full Version : Lyman/Ideal 358395 Hollow base

Dschuttig
10-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the base plug for the 358395? I have one that is missing the plus and would like a picture of the hollow base cavity profile so that I can have one made to fit it. Thanks!! Dan Dschuttig@yahoo.com

Bent Ramrod
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Here you are. The group portrait didn't come out so hot, but hopefully the base pin itself is clear. It's a slightly-elongated hemisphere with a 0.050" flat rim around it.

Dschuttig
10-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks!! I'm sending it out today, I will e-mail this picture for duplication. Dan

ncbearman
10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
I bought this mould from Dschuttig today. Almost 5 years later and a google search for 358395 base plug sent me to this post. Amazing!

Le Loup Solitaire
10-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Somewhere in time there was a picture of a setup that used a coil of wire to hold the plug stationary in the flame of a propane torch to keep it up to temperature so that the plug would stay at an even temp and not cause wrinkled bases. I made one of these when I used to cast hollow based wadcutters for a 41 Mag.( Long ago). It worked so if you have any issues with wrinkled or incompletely filled out bases this is the cure. A wooden base to anchor the wire coil so that it doesn't tip over is necessary. When the plug is removed put it in the coil until the next pour. Don't remember where I saw the idea, but it made life with hollow base casting easier. LLS

Bullshop
10-03-2014, 10:14 PM
What I do to keep my hollow base and hollow point pins hot when casting is first place a metal plate (mine is aluminum) on top of the casting pot. Then use a socket that the pin being used is a good fit in and set the socket on the metal plate covering the casting pot. Each time I remove the pin I place it in the socket on top of the casting pot. This goes far in helping to keep the pin hot in between pours. Be sure to use a socket that is short enough to allow the tip of the pin to be resting on the plate.
This works good for me but I do have a well practiced had and can cycle this type of removable pin HP or HB mold 3 times per minute.

Dschuttig
10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Ha, I remember that. That was the picture I had eric model the plug for my other one off of.