PDA

View Full Version : what to do with zinc

bigbear
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I have a good source of wheel weights, 1 six pack =300lbs wheel weights. Increasing percentage of zinc wheel weights. What do you do with these culls?

evan price
10-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I sort the zinc and iron weights, the steel clips from melting the lead weights, and the tire valves and other junk from the weight buckets, these go in a barrel. I also put in spray cans, car parts, appliance parts, whatever small junk I have laying around. I just took the barrel to the junkyard and sold it for scrap sheetmetal. Weighed 400# of junk. Got $24. Since I was going to the junkyard anyway it paid for gas. Since I have to pay for trash hauling it's better to sell than pay.

bigbear
10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
I sort the zinc and iron weights, the steel clips from melting the lead weights, and the tire valves and other junk from the weight buckets, these go in a barrel. I also put in spray cans, car parts, appliance parts, whatever small junk I have laying around. I just took the barrel to the junkyard and sold it for scrap sheetmetal. Weighed 400# of junk. Got $24. Since I was going to the junkyard anyway it paid for gas. Since I have to pay for trash hauling it's better to sell than pay.

Thanks alot, now to find where the nearest scrap dealer is, I live in a small town.

10 ga
10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Zinc = fishing sinkers. Lead free fishing equipment is becoming required in many areas, especially public land, ie. federal and state owned areas, and zinc is a home castable substitute for the lead sinkers and jig heads etc... Find someone who cast their own fisning stuff and they will be glad to get it. I volunteer to take your zinc. PM if you have some, 10 ga

waco
10-07-2009, 02:00 AM
talk to the guys who shoot canons
they use zinc for canon balls

10 ga
10-07-2009, 10:27 AM
WACO, Hadn't thought of that but yes, cannonballs. There are a bunch of people here in the east that are into the reenacting stuff. Different groups for different eras but seems they all have some kind of cannon or swivel gun. 10 ga

peter nap
10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I sold some to fishing weight makers but I am keeping it now. I made some swan shot out of it and it's better than gravel.

I guessing that it will become more used in bullets in the next few years. Who knows. It melts and shoots so I'm saving it.

winshooter
10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
I just picked up some WW lead today from a local tire dealer and he told me that in 2010 they will no longer use lead for WW's because of the EPA.

Mike

jlucht01
10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
would zinc cast a good Cannon ball for a down rigger? If so, does anyone sell a mold?

watkibe
10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I have accumulated a bunch of zinc by sorting it out of WWs. I was trying to think how it could be a resource instead of junk. I think I will get a duck decoy anchor mold and pour anchors !

Frozone
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I just picked up some WW lead today from a local tire dealer and he told me that in 2010 they will no longer use lead for WW's because of the EPA.

Mike

I wonder if most of this country's problems could not be solved if we just gave all of California south of Bakersfield back to Mexico with our apologies.

10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Frozone,

That already happened, and it involved the entire state. It took place in 1986 when President Reagan granted amnesty to un-told of illegal immigrants. Today, California is a Third World state governed by an ultra-liberal Sacramento that is controlled by even more liberal and whacko special interest groups.

Be informed, vigilant and alert, and vote, because what happens in California doesn't stay in California.

imashooter2
10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
talk to the guys who shoot canons
they use zinc for canon balls

Talk? Heck no! Get you an 8 pounder.

IV8888
10-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Don't forget about your homemade Zinc Phophates for Parkerizing.

Clean and degrease the WW and in theory, I bet it would work better than new pennies.

jlucht01
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
What is the melt temp of zinc?

WickedGoodOutdoors
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Make them into disks and sacrafishal anode ingots for Boats

Fishing sinkers are a great idea. Make me some 1/4 & 1/2 ounce ones!

Here is alother great idea to make a smelter!

Use an old Propane tank.

would be great in the ice shanty/ hunting shack also!

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/PopularMechanics/2-1949/med_bomb_stove.jpg

armyrat1970
10-24-2009, 07:03 AM
What is the melt temp of zinc?

Around 787.15 degrees. That's why it's always good to smelt your wws at no higher than 700 to assure the zinc and steel clips float to the top.