PDA

View Full Version : I'm a killer. Pic Attached

mroliver77
04-20-2005, 11:21 PM
I have been practicing for a few months in the barn with the Lyman 358 91 WC over 4.5gr. Clays in my kids Astra 960 revolter. 30 foot range. TodayI was walking through the bottom when I spotted a fat chuck peeking out of his hole as I walked by. Only his front 1/4 stiking out. I pulled the gun as I turned and cocked and put the front sight on him and squeezed it off. I have been working on keeping my eyes open as I shoot and evidently it is working as I seen the bullet hit righ under his ear. It travelled through the skull and down the neck an exited just above his shoulder. He was anchored right there. I have been hunting and shooting for most of my life but this was my first varmint kill with a handgun.

buck1
04-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Good shootin tex!!! :)

Ed Barrett
04-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!

KCSO
04-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Baked over a rack in the oven those critters can be right tasty too.

9.3X62AL
04-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Nice work, indeed. Varminting with a handgun gets addictive in a hurry--no woodchucks out this way, but jackrabbits provide the same service hereabouts.

StarMetal
04-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I shot a groundhog when I lived in Oklahoma with my Walther PP 32 acp using a lyman 80 gr cast over a hot load of bullseye. Can't remember where I hit him, but I do remember it did the job nice. I've also shot alot of groundhogs up in PA with a 16 in barreled Win Mod 94 leveraction using the 255 gr RCBS SWC over 9.0 grs of Unique. Now that combo worked very very well. Other then some 22 LR's in a handgun, most the other groundhogs were taken with a jacketed bullet in handguns. I remember once shooting a groundhog with my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC using up some 185 gr jacketed Hornady wadcutters meant for the acp. If you remember those old bullets they were a full metal jacket except for that little nose tip. Well, they weren't any good. I had to shoot a groundhog twice with the darn things to kill him. First shot he was standing up and put it right through the boiler room. Nothing! Absolutely nothing, he just stood there looking at me, then he turned and ran down the log he had just come up and stopped and turned around and looked again. Bang, shot him again. This time he fell in his hole and was squirming around and I went up to give him the coupe de gras and he leaped up and bit the end of my barrel !!!! I was just ready to pull the trigger and let him eat one of those Hornadys and he fell back and died. Those rounds were loaded hot too. Yeah, I figured they were just punching through him, but geez, a 45 cal hole none the less. Would have done better with my target 45 acp 185 gr wadcutters. Groundhogs can be tough at times.

Joe

Gussy
04-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Nice shooting!! I can relate to that. About as much fun as I have ever had hunting was shooting tree squirrels with either a ruger auto or a colt single action .22. I like eating them, but I dearly loved hunting them with a handgun. No season where I live now.
Gus

Buckshot
04-23-2005, 01:57 AM
.............I forget the gunwriter's name, but he said instead of testing effectiveness of rifles and ammo on big game, a better result would be to shoot a groundhog with you between him and his burrow.

.............Buckshot

Ballistics in Scotland
04-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Before me on my desk at work as I write, is Ray Camp's "Hunting Handbook" of 1951. He says roast woodchuck is popular with a growing group of gourmets (though if they'd grown consistently, America ought to be full of them by now), and can be mistaken for quail. Why would a man lie about a thing like that?

lar45
04-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Very nice shot. And that Astra doesn't look too bad either.

Willbird
04-23-2005, 10:03 PM
woodchucks are of the same family as squirrels correct ?? I have been told if you pop a young one in the pressure cooker you will never throw another head shot one away.

Bill

Buckshot
04-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Before me on my desk at work as I write, is Ray Camp's "Hunting Handbook" of 1951. He says roast woodchuck is popular with a growing group of gourmets (though if they'd grown consistently, America ought to be full of them by now), and can be mistaken for quail. Why would a man lie about a thing like that?

............BiS, I would suspect if you were starving you'd eat most anything and be thankfull to get it. Should hunger be a bit lower on the scale, WHAT it is then becomes a bit more important :grin:. Your brain, being the pretty much out of control thing it is, conjures up pictures that do you no good!

I have (or had as it hasn't been tested for the past 38 years) a phobia about Catfish. My dad, having been an old Arkansas farmboy loves'em. On one trip back to the farm I was told I HAD to eat what grandma had prepared. I immediately threw up after a bite. One other instance on another trip was that we'd pulled up to a cousin's house as they were having a fish fry.

I thought the battered fried stuff was pretty good until I was told it was Catfish. I made a polite 180* turn away from the picnic table and barfed on the lawn. That was the last time I ever ate Catfish. So taste wasn't the issue.

................Buckshot

mroliver77
04-24-2005, 01:26 PM
My dad and I cooked a muskrat one time and tried to eat it. It never browned while cooking. When well done it was still a redish color and was not apetizing at all. It also looked like a cooked rat. It had a sickly sweet earthy taste. We should have put it on the grill.
The ole man said in the military he ate all kinds of yuchy stuff and it didnt bother him. He thought civy life had possibly softened him some.hehe Jay

shooter575
04-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Mroliver77
Nice shooting. chucks have allways been good shooting and they can be tough to kill.
Buckshot, I love fish.But when I was a kid caned sammon was cheep.So it seemed that we would have fried sammon paddies about once a week for a spell. YUCK! To this day the smell of sammon cooking......
35 years had a aunt that lived in west Tn. Now she could cook catfish that was great.She did steaks cut like swordfish,cornmeal batter,deep fried in lard. But any resturant I have had catfish in just don't do anything for me.
Now get a mess of panfish. There just is not anything better.