PDA

View Full Version : 1st Lee die

jsizemore
10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Got my 550 set up tp reload 45 acp. I already had a set of RCBS that I have used for years with good results. I decided to add a seperate crimp die to the operation and got a Lee taper crimp die. I used some of my old brass and when I got to the crimp stage it made a dragging sound. When I looked at the loaded round it looked like somebody had filed the edge of the brass off at the crimp. I pulled the crimp die and it appeared somebody had used a dulled and chipped reamer to bore the die. Is this typical of Lee or is their QC that bad? The die acts as a rasp to achieve the taper crimp.

jcwit
10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Is this typical of Lee or is their QC that bad?

In a wotd "NO!".

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Call them and send it back for an exchange or get it exchanged through the vendor you bought it from.

Shooter6br
10-03-2009, 10:40 AM
i have use Lee dies for years. Never had a problem

Shiloh
10-03-2009, 02:46 PM
In a wotd "NO!".

Call them and send it back for an exchange or get it exchanged through the vendor you bought it from.

i have use Lee dies for years. Never had a problem

Likewise.

You have a defective die that never made it through an inspection. I have and have used lots of LEE products over the years. These include Reloading dies, Sizing dies, Priming tools, and boolit molds. there QC is usually pretty good.
Your experience is the exception.

Shiloh

jcwit
10-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I would guess with the increase in reloading is causing a major strain on their manufacturing capacity and a bad item slipped thru. Then with the much lower price of their products when one does slip thru some will right away say it was cheap. Do not jump to conclusions, Lee gives excellent value for money spent, in fact better than most.

jsizemore
10-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I got a better look at the die's interior with a Opti-loop and bright light. It looks like an armdillo was turned inside out and sandblasted. Maybe the reamer hit an inclusion of sulphur and chips were carried around and the porous nature of the the steel left that finish???? The outside of the die was sure slick and shiny. I called Grafs and their going to make it right, with a little arm twisting. I just got to wait a little longer to start using the 550.

By the way, seater and expander plugs are different sizes in RCBS dies. Thought I might get away with that but no such luck. Patience.

Bret4207
10-04-2009, 08:25 AM
It's always a good idea to inspect your dies before using them. When I get a new die I always make sure I clean them good before using. I learned that on an RCBS that was full of a gritty material, looked like grinding dust and jammed a 7x57 case tight.

troy_mclure
10-04-2009, 08:38 AM
It's always a good idea to inspect your dies before using them. When I get a new die I always make sure I clean them good before using. I learned that on an RCBS that was full of a gritty material, looked like grinding dust and jammed a 7x57 case tight.

had the same recently on my rcbs .44mag carbide sizing die. full of white chalky powder

10-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Lee dies have always been good for me. Any new die gets taken apart and cleaned with a Q-tip and Kroil. Just removes anything that could have gotten in there from the maunfacturer, vendor, shipper, etc. A bad apple, that's all. The rest of the barrel is fine.

jsizemore
10-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Well I talked to the lady that handles the returns for Grafs. I decided to go with another RCBS taper crimp seater to go with the rest of my RCBS 45acp cabide die set. I have to pay the difference between the 2 dies and they will cover the shipping. I asked if they wanted the Lee die and she said it wasn't worth the cost of shipping to them and then on to Lee.

I guess what I might do is give it to somebody that would like to do a little machine work and add it to their collection or whatever...

azcoyhunter
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Sir,

What do you want for it?

jsizemore
10-06-2009, 09:36 PM
It's yours. PM your info

azhunter12
10-10-2009, 12:23 AM
I've only had one problem with a .223 decapping pin not staying down and actually decapping the case. I sent it back and they fixed it for free and returned it in just about a week. I've got 5 or 6 Lee die sets and all of them work great.