PDA

View Full Version : .375 Jdj

Scrounger
04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
I just acquired a Contender Carbine barrel in .375 JDJ caliber. This should be a real whizbang according to the reloading manuals. I need a set of dies for it and they're hard to find. Anybody runs across a set of them, I'd appreciate a holler. Also, I see Buckshot closed out a six cavity mold in that caliber earlier this week. A few days late and a few dollars short. Just in case he has an extra one in the order, I'll take it. Thanks.

Bullshop
04-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Seems like I have a set stashed somewhere. I believe they were in new condition when I hid them ah ah ah somewhere. If I figure out where somewhere is what ya got for trade?
BIC/BS

Scrounger
04-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Seems like I have a set stashed somewhere. I believe they were in new condition when I hid them ah ah ah somewhere. If I figure out where somewhere is what ya got for trade?
BIC/BS

Somehow I missed your post yesterday. Don't worry about trade, I have beaucoup molds. Or money.

Let me add something to my want list: I need a two cavity mold for a .30 caliber bullet of 200 grains plus, that is 311284, 311299, or RCBS 30-200-SIL. Think maybe I'd prefer the RCBS bullet.
I'd better edit this: I don't have beaucoup money but I can pay for a set of dies. Another addition to the want list: a .375 mold, 2 cavity. I just missed out on Buckshot's 6 cavity buy.

JSH
04-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Scrounger, be warned. A friend of mine has one of the 375jdj's in a carbine setup. I will refuse to shoot it until he tones it down a bit. One of the lyman 264 grainers running about 2200+ is way more than I want in a rifle that light. About 3 pounds of shot in the butt wouldn't hurt anything,lol.
Jacketed full house loads are wicked, imho. I have shot them in the handgun version and would shoot them that way rather than the light carbine beating me to death.
Jeff

Scrounger
04-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Scrounger, be warned. A friend of mine has one of the 375jdj's in a carbine setup. I will refuse to shoot it until he tones it down a bit. One of the lyman 264 grainers running about 2200+ is way more than I want in a rifle that light. About 3 pounds of shot in the butt wouldn't hurt anything,lol.
Jacketed full house loads are wicked, imho. I have shot them in the handgun version and would shoot them that way rather than the light carbine beating me to death.
Jeff

Jeff, there's not the slightest doubt in my mind but that you are right, and I am recoil sensitive. But I want to have the capability of a rifle like that if I ever need it. The equivalent of a Nuclear Deterrent. I doubt any lions or rogue elephants will come around as long as I have it available....

Johnch
04-22-2006, 11:51 PM
I have a 375 JDJ Hand Cannon AKA TC Contender barrel .
IMO those full power loads are as bad or worse than full power 45/70 loads in the 14" unported Conterder barrel .

The equivalent of a Nuclear Deterrent
Scrounger

Yea mutual insured destruction , both the giver and receiver get hit hard .
But hopfuly only one dies :twisted: :twisted:

Johnch

Guido4198
04-23-2006, 05:22 AM
I got in on the .375 JDJ pretty early. Bought my 14" magna-ported Contender from J.D. when he was working out of his basement. Always thought it would make a great carbine round too, but never got around to doing anything about it.
In the Contender, even with Pachmyer grips and a padded glove, the full-house 300 gn. loads will hurt you if you shoot enough of them..!!
20 yrs. or so back, I took mine to Africa for a Handgun only hunt. Among other odds and ends, I was able to get close enough ( 20-25 yds.) to a cow elephant to brain her with a 300 gn. Hornady solid. Quite a day..!!
The cartridge seems to be one of those that is "inherently accurate". I've found very few load combinations that didn't work. Easy round to load across a wide spectrum of power levels. Enjoy...!!
Cheers,
Don

Dale53
04-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Don pretty much says it all. I have one of the early JDJones barrels. Really good barrel (hard chrome inside and out) that shoots extremely well. I have been able to shoot it remarkably well but only for five shots at a time (after a short rest, I am able to do it again).
I have only shot mine with jacketed bullets as it has an SSK Arrestor and J.D. advised against cast...

Dale53