PDA

View Full Version : correct scope mount specs for H&R Buffalo Classic

water bug
10-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Can anyone give the exact specs for the scope mount for the H&R 1871 Classic Buffalo? I have one that cal=me with peep Williams rear sight. I would like to put a scope on and use the holes from the iron sight on the breech. How do I specify the hole distances ? Any mount model numbers? for a 1" dia.4X32 fixed scope. Thanks, Art

Nrut
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi WaterBug
You need a Weaver #82 base for a NEF...I would think any of the mail order places like Midway,Graf,Midsouth,Natchez,etc. would carry it if you can't find one at your local gunsmith or dealer...
I assume you know that you must use Weaver "style" rings on Weaver bases... The height of the rings depends on the size of your objective..

bubba.50
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
i got mine at wally-world. have an extra if ya can't find one where you're at.

water bug
10-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Nrut, Please explain "weaver " style rings, and Weaver base. I am not at all familiar. Do you mean Weaver Brand ONLY, or is that a style? What does NEF mean? Thanks for the list of sources. I have heard of a few of them, and will investigate the rest. Which are the best to deal with, or most economical , or in some other way preferred? Height of rings depending on objective diameter makes sense. I had not realized tha, but now do. Art

Nrut
10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
WaterBug..
Weaver is a brand and they make rings and bases.. Order a Weaver #82 base that is designed by Weaver to fit your Buffalo Classic... Weaver "style" bases have cross slots in them and require a Weaver "style" ring to fit them...In other words other companies make rings that fit Weaver style bases..I would not buy the "standard" Weaver rings as they are a pain to mount a scope in as they turn the scope as you tighten the two screws on the one side of the rings..
Weavers 4X4 rings are good and they are fairly inexpensive as well..

Go to this link and scroll down to scope bases then scroll down a bit for rings.....
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html
There is enough info there to choke a horse...:holysheep
Check out the main NEF/H&R forum and the Handi Basics 101 thread also..
As you can see after reading the FAQ and Handi Basics 101 these rifles can sometimes turn into a project rifle.. The Buffalo Classic is generally a good shooting model though..

NEF stands for New England Firearms... They make the Handi Rifle and I believe (don't hold me to this) bought out H&R...Your Buffalo Classic is a spruced up version of the Handi Rifle with a longer barrel...
Remington now owns NEF...
Have fun Art! :-)

pietro
10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
[Please explain "weaver " style rings, and Weaver base.]
[Do you mean Weaver Brand ONLY, or is that a style?]

A gent named Jack Weaver was one of the first to design and make an affordable, mass-produced riflescope in the 1940s (IIRC).
The rings and bases he also designed to hold his creation(s) were unique, and after his patent expired many others copied the design of his scope base and the clamping system that attached the rings to the base(s).

Some copycats also copied the upper design of the Weaver rings, while others went with different upper designs.

Since they will ALL fit an original Weaver base, or a clone base - they are referred to as "Weaver-style" rings.

Other, non-Weaver-style rings/bases are mostly a "turn-in" style with a rotary front ring locking dovetail system tying the ring to the base, as invented by John Redfield, and also later cloned by many others like Leupold, Burris, etc.

StarMetal
10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Japan or China company made some rings that looked like Weaver--they were aluminum and stretched. Weavers were steel.

Ray, most model of Weaver rings are aluminum with steel over straps.

Joe

StarMetal
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Weaver makes lots of rings, but the three basic ones are first the one with the steel strap that has a hooked lip on one end to correspond with the groove on the ring base and two screws on the opposite side to clamp it. Next is basically the same ring except it has four screws, two on each side, they did away with the hook lip. Next the 4x4. Two separate straps with corresponding screws on each end.

Now if you don't know how to use the ring with hooked lip, yes it will turn your scope. It's easy.

The 4x4 was recommended to the original poster. I wouldn't recommend that because it's the most expensive of the three. Go with the second one I mentioned with the two screws on each side of the strap.

Joe

NVScouter
07-02-2013, 10:01 AM
I have the alluminum base and it sucks. The rear 1/2 is all that's supported by the mounting screws. That leaves the rest to flex. On my handi rifle it wasn't an issue since I could shim the front and had a compact scope mounted.

I put it on my new BC with a 2.5-7x steel weaver scope and started having issues. The barrel taper is different so it would need a big shim. I've seen some H&R steel 1 piece mounts that I'm going to try.

Anybody have that mount? Also has anybody cut and refitted a recoil pad to the BC stock?

Nobade
07-03-2013, 07:40 AM
EGW (Evolution Gun Works) makes a nice picatinny rail, either flat or 20 MOA cant, for these rifles as well. Not too expensive and works well - gives you more options as to where to put the rings.

-Nobade

Bjornb
07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
These guys (DNZ) make a custom scope base with integral rings that fits ALL H&R/NEF Handi Rifles plus the Buffalo Classic. A tad pricey but it will allow you to mount just about any scope (needs to be high to clear the hammer). I have a couple and they are good quality. Link:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/947156/dnz-products-game-reaper-1-piece-scope-base-with-1-integral-rings-h-and-r-ultra-nef-handi-rifle-matte-extra-high

NVScouter
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks I bought the H&R mount and am VERY pleased! Its beefy and marketed as 50% stronger than the Weaver. Its a one piece like the DNZ. The EGW looked great but I figured at $30 if it wasnt all that I'd use it on the Handi Rifle. Much shorter but fits excellent and no flex. The ring height is perfect too with good hardware. About the best $30 purchase I've made in a long time. I'll get to shooting it one day this week at lunch.

I cut the stock straight and am using a slip on until my small grind to fit gets here.