PDA

View Full Version : lubing 311467

bedwards
10-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Since this boolit is tapered, how can you lube it in a Lyman sizer without excess lube on the top? I can wipe the excess off, but what a pain!

thanks
be

BABore
10-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Only a few of the bands near the nose are tapered. The rest should be all bearing bands of the same size. Just lube them or some of them as the load/gun prefers.

bedwards
10-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I checked and lubed about a hun last night and it took forever. I had to wipe the noses of each one. I haven't shot any yet so I lubed all the grooves not knowing any better. This boolit will fit almost 1/2 in to the rifling before it engages.

be

Char-Gar
10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I have shot many, many of the Loverin multi-band 30 caliber bullets (311466,311467 and 311407) over the years. I like them all, very much. They are a modern variant of the old Schutzen tapered multi-band bullets.

I long ago, stoped lubing the grooves outside of the neck. The 3 or 4 inside the neck are plenty. I would think 2 might be enough, but I have never had to do that.

The molds for these bullets have had a long production life with considerable variety in the dimension of the top two bands. In rifles without worn throats, I size the top two bands .301 or .302 so they will engrave and ride on top of the lands. The accuracy is splended.

bedwards
10-02-2009, 10:22 AM
so... am i just going to get some smoke from too much lube or what? I cringe at shoving unlubed lead into the bore! I'll have to keep the extra lube clean also.

be

BABore
10-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Seat the boolit so it engraves, then wipe the lube from the exposed grooves. If you've already got an accurate load, experiment by wiping lube from one band at a time and fire test groups. Many, including myself, find best accuracy occurs right at the point of muzzle leading for a given velocity. In otherwords, you want just enough, but not too much lube, of a given type for that load. Change lube, powder, velocity, or any variable and you test again. Excessive lube will sometimes cause flyers in the middle of a string from purging, or after the bbl cools following a string. The first shot of the cold bbl group has to push out the congealed lube. Two things to watch for when you have a known, accurate load.

mrbill2
10-02-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm lubing 5 groves on my 311467 for benchrest shooting with my 308 Win.. Mine are cast from ww and water cooled. Try some Accurate 5744 powder. I shot a 191/200 @100 yds. last match. I've also shot some 1.5" groups at 200 yds with that powder and bullet. Love that 311467 !!
Mr. Bill2

MT Gianni
10-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Wadcutter accuracy varies with the amount of lube used. I think Louverin boolits may also but not to the same extent. I usually lube 2-3 grooves on the 311407 & 466 without leading.

Char-Gar
10-03-2009, 05:51 PM
so... am i just going to get some smoke from too much lube or what? I cringe at shoving unlubed lead into the bore! I'll have to keep the extra lube clean also.

be

I have not found lubing the grooves outside of the neck to harm accuracy, just unnecessary. The issue for me is the all of that lube can attract and hold grit that can harm the bore if fired down the tube. It is not a problem if you are shooting at a bench and can keep your ammo clean. But for a field rifle, that can be problematic.

Like you, It bothered me to see all of those naked lube gooves, but consider the long unlubed nose on many designs, and there isn't much difference. But once you tried it you will find that three or or four bands gives plenty of lube.

I am one of those who believe the primary function of bullet lube is to seal the base of the bullet and keep fire from the sides. Whatever actual lubication that takes places may be important, but is of secondary importance.

We have gone round and round for years on this board about the purpose of bullet lube, but the above is my uninformed opinion stated as fact.

bedwards
10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys. It will be a couple weeks before I can load and try them out. I"ll keep you posted.

be

runfiverun
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
i'm with chargar on the lube being a seal [mainly] as well as a lube.