PDA

View Full Version : Rough 22 hornet chamber

303Guy
10-02-2009, 12:53 AM
I have this lovely little Anschutz in 22 hornet. The bore is rust damaged but shoots well and the chamber is rough which damages the cases and if fired dry (without lube) the cases separate quite high up the body where a major groove is located.

I happen to like the long neck so I am thinking of 'Ackley-erising' the chamber but leaving the neck/shoulder junction where it is. Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

roadie
10-02-2009, 01:21 AM
If you don't want to make your own reamer, easiest would be to find a K Hornet reamer.
I have seen two versions, the 40 degree will cost some neck length, the 35 degree is longer necked but probably not easy to find.

I just make my own D reamers.

roadie

deltaenterprizes
10-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Change the barrel.

Bullshop
10-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Trade ya a ruger fer it?
BIC/BS

303Guy
10-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Trade ya a ruger fer it?My beautiful little Annie?:mrgreen:

I actually have a suitable barrel I could fit or get fitted.

If a K-reamer were to be used partway so as to not shorten the neck ... ?
Maybe a D-reamer is the way to go.

This is what I had thought of.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/22HORNETIMPROVED.jpg

Gunfixer
10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Easily doable, just like your pic. But can you get an accurate cast of the chamber so you will know that the "bad" will be removed?

roadie
10-02-2009, 04:20 PM
My beautiful little Annie?:mrgreen:

I actually have a suitable barrel I could fit or get fitted.

If a K-reamer were to be used partway so as to not shorten the neck ... ?
Maybe a D-reamer is the way to go.

This is what I had thought of.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/22HORNETIMPROVED.jpg

Looks good to me. Here's a link you may or may not have.
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

roadie

303Guy
10-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks roadie, I do.

On a simpler route, what would happen if I simply attempted to polish or hone the chamber smooth? O would keep away from the rear section and the neck area. The chamber would simply go more 'bottle' shaped but I figure that as long as the taper is retained (and leaving enough material to fit a K-reamer), it should only improve, right? A little more capacity is always a good thing too but I load to maximum for this rifle and so would like a shoulder to control case elongation. At the moment I rely on a well lubed case and headspacing on the case mouth - that is only marginal as the chamber ends in a 45° angle which is not ideal for seating against. (Now if I could add a small sharp step .... :rolleyes:).

The one aspect of the enlarged K-hornet is the reduction in powder compression which I think is what is making the hot loads I am using possible. In short, increasing case capacity might force me to lower my powder charges to keep pressure acceptable - I'm talking Lil'Gun.

roadie
10-03-2009, 03:38 PM
There is probably too much damage to clean up with just polishing if it's separating cases. By the time it's done, the chamber will probably be oval or larger then the immediate area behind the groove.
Then you will be overworking cases when you reload.
It sounds like there is little to lose though, so you could try polishing as you've already mentioned leaving enough metal to clean up with a K reamer.

roadie