PDA

View Full Version : Slugging - Just so I'm clear. . .

awaveritt
10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
My Lee TL-356-124-2R is dropping an average .356-357 with WWalloy. I slugged my CZ75 barrel tonight and I think it measures .354. I want to measure the outside dia of the grooves, right? It's a little iffy with my dial calipers but after fiddling with it, I think it's .354.

If my measurements are anywhere close, this should be good, right? I hope to get out this weekend and try the first ones I've loaded up, but I wanted to start thinking about the possibility of sizing my bullets if there is a lot of leading/fowling. I'll report on my findings. Meanwhile, if someone can just confirm that I've got the right concept on slugging/measuring. . . . .

OK, I'm embarrassed, but I checked my caliper zero and was off by .001. My slugs are now showing .355. But my boolits are dropping more like .357/358. Still may be looking at sizing, cause they also seem to be out of round by a thousandth, depending on where I measure them. Anyway, I'll shoot 'em and get back to you.

thx997303
10-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Yes, you want to measure the groove diameter, which is the largest diameter of your slug.

The barrel on my XD9 slugged at .354" as well, but as I had noticed it was tight right close to the chamber, another member suggested I slug the first half of the barrel only.

Well I did and the muzzle end slugged at .355" which it seems may cause leading issues.