PDA

View Full Version : Star heater

plumber
10-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I just got me a Star heater. My old Lyman heater had some kind of
cork insulation on the bottom, and I notice the Star has nothing. Is there any issues with the heater heating/burning the bench? Do any of you guys put anything on the underside?
What the heck is up with that hole on the left hand side?
Also, as I intend on getting the bullet feeder when funds allow, does it hang over the heater?

runfiverun
10-01-2009, 10:28 PM
no issues with three of them.
the hole to the left is threaded for the boolit feeder that magma sells for the star.
it is raised up with a block to be even with the sizer.

plumber
10-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks! Tomorow I'll just bolt it down.
The hole I was asking about is the unthreaded hole on the left side of the heater. It's a few inches deep, not the threaded hole on the top. I should have specified what hole.

runfiverun
10-01-2009, 11:56 PM
i believe thats the heating element in that hole, it slides in right under the sizer.

cajun shooter
10-02-2009, 07:52 AM
You should have three unthreaded holes after mounting the Star to the heater and one threaded. The three are for mounting to the bench and the threaded one is for the bullet feeder if you chose to buy one.

plumber
10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
The hole I was asking about on my heater is on the side not the top. Well anyways, I found a use for it. I got a digital thermocouple thermometer with two inputs, I have a probe in my casting pot and the other thermocouple in that mystery hole. I am very impressed with the heater, it mainains four degrees and heats up fast. This was my first time using my Star, I was planing on sizing fifty or so boolits, and ended up doing 500!! I'm in love!

bobthenailer
10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
i have a old c&h heater thats has a adjustiable thermostat, it came with a asbestos type material on the base. its maybe 20 to 25 years old

Dale53
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I use a flat Lyman heater that comes pre-threaded for the Star, Lyman, and RCBS sizer/lubers.

It has no thermostat so I wired mine to a rheostat. You can easily make one for seven or eight dollars from materials from a home supply store (Lowe's or Home Depot). My Lyman requires 30 minutes warming time before it is ready (when it is set on the final temperature). I run the Dillon 550B while waiting for it to warm up. I could speed things up by turning it up to high and then backing it down, I suppose, but I prefer to just wait until it comes up to proper temperature.

FWIW
Dale53