PDA

View Full Version : 44 lee factory crimp die

Ekalb2000
10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Just made up 6 dummy rounds. Is there any way to open that carbide ring on the lee factory crimp die? I know that sucker is sizing down my boolits.
If I gottat cut the thing out of there I will. Any ideas?

andy

Heavy lead
10-01-2009, 10:13 PM
beat mine out with a screwdriver in the .44. The rest of them work fine, but the .44 sizes it down way too far.

Ekalb2000
10-01-2009, 10:43 PM
how did you do it? Im thinking of putting it in the press and knock it out through the bottom.
I just google the 44mag FCD and it does size it down.
Kind of silly to get a boolit the right "fattness" and the very last step you do is size it down to something that could lead your brl or effect accuracy.

see I am gettin learnt somthin

Down South
10-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Knocked out a few of the sizer rings myself. Put it in the press and knock it out with a good punch. You may need to dress the bottom of the die up a little afterward cause the sizing ring is crimped into the die.

EOD3
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
OK, I'll bite :D

The factory crimp die is user adjusted for the amount of crimp. If you're getting too much, back it off a quarter turn... 8-)

Ekalb2000
10-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Down south,
My punch must not have been as good as yours. That carbide ring rounded it off.
I has to file a little bit of the die itself before I could knock out that ring. But all is good.
Tried it out and set up to get the crimp where its needed.

EOD,
Rifle factory crimp dies a a little different than the pistol ones. Its kind of hard for me to explain it. But there is a carbide ring at the mouth of the crimp die that makes a universal size before it is crimped. Not good.

10-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I found that Lee's standard seating die was down-sizing my .44s. Did all kinds of mould and die alterations to produce a .433" boolit, only to have the seating die re-size it to .429". Replaced the Lee set with a Lyman and solved the problem. The Lyman "M" neck expander die is far superior to Lee's, too.

EOD3
10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
EOD,
Rifle factory crimp dies a a little different than the pistol ones. Its kind of hard for me to explain it. But there is a carbide ring at the mouth of the crimp die that makes a universal size before it is crimped. Not good.

I stand corrected :oops:

In retrospect, all of my FCDs are for straight wall cartridges. :Fire: