PDA

View Full Version : Unique w/ a 30-30: results

dsmjon
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Shot a couple of test groups, 10rnds each, IIRC. Both using 178gr cast flat nosed, with gas checks. Can't tell you the mold #. Maybe not too impressive, given the short distance. Shooting on elbow @ ~30yards.

Link to target (http://www.jonsmithphoto.com/pics/bang/30-30target.jpg)

rugerman1
10-01-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.jonsmithphoto.com/pics/bang/30-30target.jpg

dsmjon
10-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks Rugerman.. wasn't aware of image size restrictions to embed into the thread. Sorry for the folk on dialup...

rugerman1
10-01-2009, 09:41 PM
That image is only big in that post.Doesn't affect the other posts in the thread,no biggie.
Great shooting at 9.5gr.I'll try that load next time!

Mark

dsmjon
10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I loaded 30rnds with 9.5 today. Can't wait to go back and use some sand bags. I'm sure I'll have to tweak a bit to get groups like this out to 50-75M, and I'll be stoked!

RNyogi
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM
10.2 grains ended up being the "sweet spot" for my model 94

rhead
10-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Very reasonable results. 9.6 of unique with a Lee 150 did the best in my Marlin and my NEF.

dsmjon
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm starting to love me some Unique. I'd much rather burn 9.5gr of powder per shot than 20+ gr per shot!!! Plus, I had an Uncle give me a 4lb keg of it :) Maybe I should ask in another thread, but this 4lb keg is one of the OLD metal cans... any suggestions on using it? Mix in small amounts with newer Unique powder? Find loading data circa the same year of the powder manufacture date?

ph4570
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm starting to love me some Unique. I'd much rather burn 9.5gr of powder per shot than 20+ gr per shot!!! Plus, I had an Uncle give me a 4lb keg of it :) Maybe I should ask in another thread, but this 4lb keg is one of the OLD metal cans... any suggestions on using it? Mix in small amounts with newer Unique powder? Find loading data circa the same year of the powder manufacture date?

Do not mix. As long as the original can is in good shape just use out of that. If the can is in poor shape perhaps decant to a plastic jug.

dsmjon
10-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Should I be worried about (possible) formulation changes to the powder? I imagine it's still good. The outside has some rust, but has never been opened. I do plan on using up the other 3 lb plastic jugs of Uni before decanting the metal can into the 4 plastic bottles. I'll get a pic of the can later, I'd like to know if someone can give me an idea as to how old it is.

Three44s
10-03-2009, 12:17 AM
It would seem to me that the old metal can is of the old chemistry and the plastic jugs may be of the newer version though you'd have to contact the manufacturer with the lot number(s) to confirm this.

The newer is said to burn cleaner and just a bit more accurate.

I would suggest using the oldest powder first so long as it has not deteriated.

Three 44s

Throckmorton
10-03-2009, 11:02 AM
With my rifle I had to get ALL the old fouling ,especaially the jacket material out of the barrle before it would even hit the berm...almost.Accuracy was HORRIBLE until I did that.
I too would much rather burn 10 grains of powder and plink away with my levergun using Unique.

Three44s
10-10-2009, 05:11 PM
With my rifle I had to get ALL the old fouling ,especaially the jacket material out of the barrle before it would even hit the berm...almost.Accuracy was HORRIBLE until I did that.
I too would much rather burn 10 grains of powder and plink away with my levergun using Unique.

Hmmmm......

Surprised but not amazed.

This is off a bit but still has merit:

I have a Marlin (older version) in .22 mag and it even discriminates between j-word bullets from different manufacturers. And it's a bull barreled gun to boot!

If I change brands of ammo without first cleaning it ....... it ain't too happy!!!

Three 44s

Bret4207
10-11-2009, 09:42 AM
If we were all smart, conscientious, and did things the right way we'd treat each new can of powder as a "new" powder. I'm just not that anal. Formulations vary from lot to lot, some more than others. I wouldn't hesitate to use the old Unique, but when I switched to the new stuff I'd watch my pressure signs like a hawk.

barrabruce
10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
At reduced amounts when should one consider stuffing the cases to keep the powder on the primer with this??
Or just to see it if closes up the groups.
What is cream of wheat in Oz lingo as I can find no -one yet who knows what it is.

I just bought some of this pwdr too and going to try it out. Just plain based slugs thou in 185 grns 30-30.

I'll keep in focus as to how you go dsmjon.
And maybe we can compare over time. :):grin:

NickSS
10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I have burned a lot of Unique over the years and have not found much difference from lot to lot. The newer stuff does burn a little cleaner and cleanup is easier. I shoot a lot of cast bullets with unique in my 30-30. My 1950s vintage Marlin likes 9 gr with a 173 gr Lyman 311041. It prints nice 3 inch groups at 200 yards from a bench rest and last week I shot a coyote with it at about 40 yards. The bullet hit it in the shoulder and broke the shoulder joint then traveled through the critter and busted a rib on the way out. I was surprised at the penetration. Needless to say the Coyote is defunct.

dubber123
10-15-2009, 07:47 AM
At reduced amounts when should one consider stuffing the cases to keep the powder on the primer with this??
Or just to see it if closes up the groups.
What is cream of wheat in Oz lingo as I can find no -one yet who knows what it is.

I just bought some of this pwdr too and going to try it out. Just plain based slugs thou in 185 grns 30-30.

I'll keep in focus as to how you go dsmjon.
And maybe we can compare over time. :):grin:

I have a good amount of targets shot with 10 grs. of Unique, and no filler. 2 off the top show 4 in .425", with a flyer making it .725" overall, and another target with 4 in .400", and another flyer making it .840" for 5. Groups at 50 yds. The flyers I attribute to the ancient slip on gas checks I am using. At least for me in the 10 gr. range with Unique, I don't see the need for a filler.

barrabruce
10-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Well I tried my loads out. I had to pull the bullets and then re stuff them with filler.
Looking for a sub load all the way out yonder to see if it would work for me.

So far I need a bit of tweeking but looked promissing.
Cast some more bullets and If I took my paper work with the loads and what measure did what I would have come up with something.
It blew gusting up to 15 or 20 knots at times and my other 2400 load was a bit shaky hitting the 300 yrd gong with the mirage and wind gusts.( usually do heaps better!! Just for fun.
The Unique loads I did do were putting 2 touching or almost together with a flyer about and 1-1 1/2 away. On several loads.
I'm gunna waste more time and consumables with this powder . Nice hollow sound and a lot less boot than the 2400 loads for around the same velocity.(low loads heavy pojo's)
I will see how they stack up with a more load deveopment.
Thanks for the load I deas and sorry for high jacking your thread DSMjon
Think I'v found a nother powder it likes.
Bruce

Wayne S
10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I used 10.0 of Unique in a 10" Contender, and it's good for 4" @ 200 yards with a copy of 31141 [old ??] . {.301 nose}
I found that a pistol primer gave better results than a rifle primer

barrabruce
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
about 6.8 grains Unique lee 180 rn with soft cast stick on wheel weights 30-30 darcon filler. Testing loads and a bit of fun.
NOt the best accuracy I have found yet but not bad either.
I predict around less than 1100 fps as they dropped more thean the calculated MOA hold but about 10-15 moa at 300 yrds. about 55 moa drop.
Two different shooters and sortta two diffenrt groups. Wind changed a bit and with about 9" of movemant for a 5 knt wind at that distance not bad for me.

Mine was the low group?? 18" plate.
I realise thats noth'n much for most of the blokes around here but its was sure fun to keep ringing the 300 yrd bell with as one bloke ...scoff'n at me put it "Yeah sure with granpa's 'ol cartridge and sure how much 6 or 7 grains of powder Ha...they'd just fall out the barrell ... brucey boy talk about ....********)
His was the top middle strung out group. I keeped loading and he got into the swing of things just hold'n dead centre.
He got tied of that and wanted to hit the 500 yrd gong :groner:
Ran out of scope elevation and kentuky windage.MAybe some other day!!!
Good fun if nothin else

Barra

9.3X62AL
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I haven't used enough Unique in rifle loads to really offer much valid info on new vs. old. In revolver and autopistol calibers, the newer stuff doesn't seem to behave differently than the older powder--other than to produce a bit less ash in higher-pressure loadings. I'm not real sensitive to powder "dirtiness" until it starts to compromise functional reliability, and that has never been an issue for me with Unique.

JIMinPHX
10-26-2009, 07:31 PM
8 grains of Unique under a GC 150-grain flat point gives me good accuracy @ around 1300fps out of a 30-30. That's my fun/plinking load. I use RE-7 for my hotter 30-30 loads, up to around 2300fps for hunting.