PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know the Twist of This?

IHMSA
10-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I just "inherited" a .45 cal. muzzleloading pistol from a guy I know.
He built it from a kit in 1973.
The octagon barrel is 5 1/2". (6" to the back of the plug.) It appears to be .4525 across the grooves.

It is marked:
Dikar Spain - .45 Cal.
Black Powder Only

Can anyone tell me the twist of this barrel?
(I tried to measure the twist, but it is too short for me to even make a decent guess)

If not, can anyone tell me what the twist probably is?

Thanks for any help!

mooman76
10-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Sure it isn't Jukar Spain. I have one. the majority of the BP back then at least for rifle were 1;66. These were cheap made pistols as were allot of the rifles back then. My guess would be they made them from the same staock and are 1-66 also. I do have on similar to yours. They aren't the most accurate but not trying to say they are that bad either but with the short distance you will probably be shooting it, the twist wouldn't matter as much as with a rifle.

IHMSA
10-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks, but it does say: Dikar. I think maybe CVA sold these kits way back then.
It is a slow twist, I just can't tell how slow.

I was wondering if I could shoot a RCBS 596618 .452 200 gr. SWC cast of pure lead or should I stick to patched balls?

mooman76
10-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Patched balls would probably shoot best but it doesn't hurt to try. After I answered I got my book out and it said typically they (pistols)would have a slightly tighter twist but really hard to tell. CVA imported and sold allot of different guns made by different manufacturers over the years. I believe at some point not too many years ago they started making their own but at some point they were better made.

northmn
10-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Does not matter much in one of those. They are not target pistols.

Northmn

jim4065
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Probably good to 25 yards, with or without rifling. I'd just shoot it and take it for what it is, providing that ignition was OK.

mooman76
10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Be advised though that when you try to seat that bullet try to make sure it will make it down the barrel. If it looks too tight, I wouldn't try it. It's no fun having a bullet stuck part way down the barrel and a pistol will be harder to get it in all the way or out. Don't try to fire it unless it is seated all the way.