PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with some questions

AZHighwall
10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Hello, I am brand new to black powder cartridge shooting. I have been lurking for a while and I recently purchased a Winchester 1885 highwall in 45-90. It is the BPCR only with the Japanese barrel 34". I could not wait to shoot it so I purchased a box of the Ten-x factory ammo since I am not set up to reload BP at this time. During my first range outing I followed the instructions on the badger barrel site for break in using lead bullets. When I got home I went to clean the rifle and discovered what I consider to be a huge amount of leading. I used several methods of lead removal and got a large portion of the leading out but wow! That was a lot of work and I can still see some leading. So I have 2 questions. How much leading is normal, and is that Ten-x ammo known to cause excessive leading? Great site by the way with a ton of information.

Thx,
Mark

coyotebait
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
AZH
Welcome to the madness. As to the lead in your barrel, I was turned on to Pure Gum Spitits of Turpentine for lead removal at our regional BPCR shoot. Don't get the subsitute, it does not work nearly as well. Just swab,let soak a little while and push the lead out with a tight patch and repeat till it comes clean. As for the Ten X ammo I know nothing, but you got a very nice rifle that should do you well.

coyotebait

NickSS
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I know nothing of the 10X ammo but do know badger barrels. Generally they are the best you can get. The only time I ever had leading in one of mine was when the lube failed or the bullet was undersized. I have also found that hard lubes work poorly in rifles in general. My guess is that the bullets were either lubed with a hard lube or they were undersized for your barrel.

Boz330
10-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Probably undersize boolits for your bore. The Badger break in with jacketed bullets is much quicker and easier. That is the method I use for any new barrel I get.

Bob

AZHighwall
10-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks, I will try the turpentine spirits. By the way here is what I found out from trying some various name brand lead cleaners. Hoppes elite does not seem to work very well, shooters choice lead remover works pretty well, and the birchwood casey lead removal cloths seem to grab a lot of lead. I finally stopped cleaning wondering if I was doing something wrong or just doing it the hard way. I have not slugged the bore yet, I was planning on doing that this weekend and starting to get set up to load BP. Right now I have to find some primers first.
I did some research on the Ten-x cartridges and they are loaded with triple 7 and there is also an article on their site that refers to some of their bullets having a slick coating on them, I do not know if that contributed to the leading, but from what I have read on this site a lot things can cause it.

JRW
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
PM sent!

e15cap
10-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Arizonasharpshooters.com is the place for you. Hook up with Steve Rhoads at Black Canyon and shorten the learning curve. Best, Roger

cajun shooter
10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Kroil also works great on leaded bores