PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Tails

SharpsShooter
10-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Paul Matthews speaks of a device for clipping tails off the patched bullet in one of his books. Do any of you gents use such a item or just what do you use?

SS

pdawg_shooter
10-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I use a pair of side cutters. One of my friends uses his toe nail clippers!

docone31
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Toe nail clippers.
The angle of the jaw, gives just enough of a tail to compress into the base.

montana_charlie
10-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Why do you use paper wide enough to leave a tail?
CM

stubshaft
10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Toe nail clippers too.

longbow
10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
montana_charlie:

I wrap with a tail because I find the paper just won't stay wrapped unless I twist.

Maybe depends on paper and maybe some on boolit size. It is pretty hard to wrap .30 cal with a fold over then stand them on the base to hold it while they dry. Not so hard with .45 cal.

Anyway, even with tracing paper and wrapping tight my patched boolits unwind if not twisted ~ especially .30 cal.

Having said that, I don't do a lot of paper patching so still have lots to learn.

Longbow

docone31
10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I paper patch .30, and .303. I have done a lot now.
I gotta twist a tail on each one of them, and set them upside down in an old ammo tray. I prefer 9mm size.
Mine, also won't stay wrapped in the smaller size I do. Trimming the tail(s), I find a toe nail trimmer to be the right size to snip the tails, leaving a little. The next thing I do is size my patches, the Lee sizer pushes the tail into the base while sizeing.
Makes a nice little package.
Just my way.
I don't have any larger BP yet. When I do, I will want a lot of advice on the (real) way!
I got my eyes on a Rolly Block. I will have to make it, but I am dreaming.

bcp477
10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
As has been said, twisting tails does help keep the patch tight. It is much different with large calibre bullets (MUCH easier) to fold patch bases....than with smaller calibres. Just as it is easier to make a clean fold in a large sheet of paper than a very small slip of the same paper - the thickness of the paper makes the difference. In addition, I have tested both ways...... with twisted tails, cut off and flattened.....and with no tail, the base only folded down. There is NO difference in performance or accuracy....at least, in my rifle. While this does not prove that it would make no difference in ALL rifles..... it does go some way toward indicating that this might well be the case.

303Guy
10-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I have a problem with both folding and twisting - I tear the wet patch! So I do niether. I just let the patch dry and then only 'wind and twirl' the fold over. Works for me. But when the tail is too long and forms a twist, I use toe-nail clippers.

This what a dry 'twisted and twirled' fold over looks like.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-333F.jpg

(It 's obvious that patch was printer drawn. ;-) )

rhead
10-02-2009, 04:32 AM
CM

Because after trying both twisting and not twisting I got better results by twisting and clipping. Your results in your guns may differ. It is just another variable that might change your results. With each gun I have a standard for accuracy and velocity. Once the velocity is high enough accuracy becomes the most important variable.

Hit the target, hard enough, with a boolit that will perform. Isn't that the important part.

I trim the tails with scissors.

SharpsShooter
10-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Here is the way I do it.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/Ballard450485grPatchedSized453diame.jpg

I am just sorting this new boolit out and have some loaded to try just as they suit. Many have written to just make the patch wide enough to roll it over the base and tuck it in and further said that any paper left in the cupped base was not good at all for accuracy. I just wondered how a fellow would trim them as I have them in the picture......or would you even bother. They are patched with tracing paper that is .0015" in thickness.

SS

pdawg_shooter
10-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I twist and clip all my PP bullets. I want the paper there to protect the base of the bullet. Also it keeps the patch tight and in place.

montana_charlie
10-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I wrap with a tail because I find the paper just won't stay wrapped unless I twist.

As has been said, twisting tails does help keep the patch tight. It is much different with large calibre bullets (MUCH easier) to fold patch bases....than with smaller calibres.
I have a problem with both folding and twisting -
This what a dry 'twisted and twirled' fold over looks like.
Because after trying both twisting and not twisting I got better results by twisting and clipping. Once the velocity is high enough accuracy becomes the most important variable.

Hit the target, hard enough, with a boolit that will perform. Isn't that the important part.
Interesting set of replies...

rhead, your priorities are reversed from mine...and I'm not suggesting you should change. For me, accuracy is first, while velocity is whatever it turns out to be.
Therefore, I won't let a 'tail' (or the stub of one) get pounded into an otherwise perfectly flat base.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.
303Guy seems to have the answer for the skinny bullets.

CM

rhead
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
rhead, your priorities are reversed from mine...and I'm not suggesting you should change. For me, accuracy is first, while velocity is whatever it turns out to be.
Therefore, I won't let a 'tail' (or the stub of one) get pounded into an otherwise perfectly flat base.
You misunderstood the phrase ONCE THE VELOCITY IS HIGH ENOUGH. High enough to do the intended job. Either go through a deer, go through a rabbit, or go through a piece of paper, with the desired downrange boolit performance. If it just wounds or bounces off Or if the Boolit disintegrates on impact accuracy is useless. Just like velocity is useless if I miss the target. Also when I said I got better results when I twisted and clipped I meant that I got better accuracy.

Would you be satisfied with absolute accuracy and a velocity of 50 feet per second, or do you also have a min. velocity that you require. absurd I know but I hope you get the point.

No doubt your results were different. Difference in guns or techniques I have no idea.

303Guy
10-02-2009, 06:23 PM
ONCE THE VELOCITY IS HIGH ENOUGH.I use the approach of selecting a 'velocity window' and an 'operating pressure window' then do what I need to do to get there. My 'windows' are based on guesswork, imperical evidence, trajectory and just what seems logical to me and involves pouring over loading charts and forum postings.:drinks:

windrider919
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
See the pic of how I do my bases. I found twisted tails had less accuracy so fold mine.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/windrider919/22ppbullets008.jpg
L-R 47.3 gr SP, 36.8gr SP, 50.1gr RN, 60.0gr RN

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/windrider919/100_1155.jpg
Best target with 37gr PP SP at 100yds

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/windrider919/221fireball_15grLilGun_100yd006.jpg
Another target with 15gr Lil'Gun and 37gr PP bullet at 100yds (5 shot)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll249/windrider919/22PPExpMould159.jpg
460gr .454dia 'Windrider' bullet w/ smokeless PP grooves for .458 shooting