PDA

View Full Version : bought a new LEE mould, now what??????????????

haff202
09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I bought a ranch dog reject from Lee 350- 460 flat nose 45-70. Now there are thing to do to a new mold from Lee, what are they.?

Also, when I bought my mold there were like 80 of them for sale. Have the rest all sold? Is any body keeping a watch on the Lee close out page?
These moulds are said to be under sized and I saw how to do it with a nut in the bullet. I will try to use tooth paste to open up the groves or lands. I am not shure to open up the mold first to get a .460 bullet or mess with the Lee mold to make it better then open up the mold. Any step by step help would go along ways here. These bullets are for my 1895gs 45-70.

docone31
09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Hokay.
Soak the mold in mineral spirits for two days, heat soak the mold to cast with, cast and see how they measure.
Toothpaste will do nothing in opening the size. Use lapping compound.
If the mold comes out too small, then cast several models from the cavities.
Useing one, smear lapping compound on it. Slowly close the mold on the model while spinning it with a wrench. Lee Molds are aluminum and should open up easily.
Alternate the models in the cavities to keep the size even. When you get real close, cast up some models in the new size, measure the castings, smear lapping compound and close while turning.
The trick will be to get the cavities to mold the same size. If one is the target diameter, cast in that one, and use it to open up the other cavity. A little at a time is in order here. You can make them larger, cut you cannot make them smaller.
Measure, measure, measure. Take a break, measure again. Go slowly. There is an high chance you will make a definate larger cavity.
Go slowly, measure, and think. No rushing here. Especially when it is close. You can size it down, but it will be great to hit the mark.
Good luck.

jack19512
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Now there are thing to do to a new mold from Lee, what are they.?

When I buy a new Lee mold the only thing I do now is use an old tooth brush and dish washing liquid and scrub the mold cavities several times in boiling water. I don't even smoke the molds any more or lube them. I just recently purchased a new Lee mold for my 454 Casull and this is all I did to it and it casts great boolits. Don't know why others have to do so much to them.

Uncle Grinch
09-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Check out www.castpics.net (http://www.castpics.net) and look under Articles By Members for Mould Maintenence.

Lots of info there and also on www.lasc.us (http://www.lasc.us)

watkibe
09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
When I buy a new Lee mold the only thing I do now is use an old tooth brush and dish washing liquid and scrub the mold cavities several times in boiling water. I don't even smoke the molds any more or lube them. I just recently purchased a new Lee mold for my 454 Casull and this is all I did to it and it casts great boolits. Don't know why others have to do so much to them.

I smoke my molds, but otherwise agree with you entirely. They seem to require no extended ritual or procedure to prepare for casting great bullets.

DLCTEX
09-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Cast with it first and see what you get.It is not a given that it will cast undersize. Then if you only need to increase it a thou or so, try beagling it to see how that works for you. Mine cast .458X.459, beagling makes it 459 all around and shoots well from a guide gun.

stubshaft
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I check the closeouts continually and didn't see this mould. The only one still listed is the 430/265. Otherwise I would have bought one to use in my 460 S&W.

geargnasher
10-01-2009, 09:49 PM
The first thing to do after receiving you new Lee mould is proof test it: Go throw it in a lake. The good Lee moulds will float.:kidding:

Gear