PDA

View Full Version : Now I've done it, got a old Star sizer and some other goodies

AJ Peacock
09-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Well,

After I got done trimming some of his trees, I was visiting with one of my older friends today. I've been trying to buy his old Star Lube Sizer (that he hasn't used in 10-15years) for quite a while. He says "So what you gonna give me for that old sizer", we talked about it for a while and settled on a fair price.

Before I left, he had given me the dies and some molds that he had laying around.

I spent 2 hours cleaning it up and it is complete except it has no handle and the handle for pressuring the lube is broken (neither is a big deal). The plastic/leather gasket that pushes down on the lube probably needs replaced; what do you replace these with?

There was a die that was not for this sizer and I'm hoping someone here can help me ID it. It is a .358 die and the small steel ram next to it was inside the die. Maybe it's a Lyman or RCBS die? I also don't know what the little short piece is that is next to this die. It is marked .311???

The Star dies are 2x.358 and a .431 (the one on the bottom of the closeup picture) Several of the lube holes appear to be filled with lead?

Anyway, just thought I would share my good fortune for having such a good friend (he's 90yrs old and as sharp as any of my younger friends!).

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Sizer%20and%20dies/Entiresizersetandmolds.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Sizer%20and%20dies/Starsizerdies.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Sizer%20and%20dies/unknownsizerdies358.jpg

The Molds are a 2 cavity 358-550 with handles (Truncated cone)
A 311-413 flat base
An Ideal 358-432 WC With handles.
An Ideal 358-495

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Sizer%20and%20dies/Entiresizersetandmolds.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/Sizer%20and%20dies/Moldssingles.jpg

Just thought I'd share with you guys,
AJ

John D
09-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Ths die in the 3rd picture is for a Lyman/RCBS sizer. The rod that fits inside of it is used to push the boolits up and out of the die after sizing.

The little piece next to the die is a #311 top punch, which is used to push a .358 RN boolit into the die. It is used for the Lyman 358311 mould.

Hope this helps

BTW nice find!

dragonrider
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
I think you done good, what do the punches look like in the star dies??? And you are correct about the odd die it is for a Lyman or RCBS machine.

AJ Peacock
09-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I think you done good, what do the punches look like in the star dies??? And you are correct about the odd die it is for a Lyman or RCBS machine.

They aren't flat, they have a funnel/nose on them.

Why?

AJ

Springfield
09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I have a spare of both handles if you want them. mwwhyte1 AT verizon.net
And the punches are from when Star guys hadn't seen the light and were still sizng base first like everybody else. Take one of the extras and grind it flat and join the 20th century!

AJ Peacock
09-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I have a spare of both handles if you want them. mwwhyte1 AT verizon.net
And the punches are from when Star guys hadn't seen the light and were still sizng base first like everybody else. Take one of the extras and grind it flat and join the 20th century!

Email sent.

Thanks,
AJ

pjh421
10-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I think I see a pair of Modern Bond handles in there...

Paul

AJ Peacock
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I think I see a pair of Modern Bond handles in there...

Paul

Yes you do. What does that mean? :veryconfu

AJ

dragonrider
10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Then you have top punches. Hopefully they match the boolits from the mold you got also.

madcaster
10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a great neighbor!

Bent Ramrod
10-01-2009, 11:28 PM
AJPeacock,

The Modern-Bond Company of Wilmington, Delaware used to market a line of bullet molds, a powder scale and measure, and two or three designs of loading tools. I believe they also make (or made) that Universal Receiver that the factories used (with interchangeable barrels) to test their cartridges and loads for pressure and velocity. They've been out of business for quite some time, at least as far as the moulds and tools, but the moulds were of very good quality.

Generally, they are labeled with a letter and a number, at least in my catalog. The only plain base A-311's I see are A-311700 and A-311870. Of course, the handles may have been fit to an Ideal 311413 mould, too, but that one has a gas check.

AJ Peacock
10-01-2009, 11:31 PM
AJPeacock,

The Modern-Bond Company of Wilmington, Delaware used to market a line of bullet molds, a powder scale and measure, and two or three designs of loading tools. I believe they also make (or made) that Universal Receiver that the factories used (with interchangeable barrels) to test their cartridges and loads for pressure and velocity. They've been out of business for quite some time, at least as far as the moulds and tools, but the moulds were of very good quality.

Generally, they are labeled with a letter and a number, at least in my catalog. The only plain base A-311's I see are A-311700 and A-311870. Of course, the handles may have been fit to an Ideal 311413 mould, too, but that one has a gas check.

Actually, I cleaned it up a bit more and it is a gas check.

thanks,
AJ