PDA

View Full Version : Tape?

goste
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Nother question.

I've been casting boolits, to try paper patching, for a couple .303s. Haven't gotten real serious with the patching yet, other than wetting and wrapping diff. paper around the boolit. These slugs drop right at .3095, out of a Lee mould.

I found some old 3m masking tape, and was fiddling with wrapping some around a couple boolits. I was amazed that one wrap puts these right at .315, and they were sticky enough to still stick to themselves, however, the outside was dry, not gummy at all....these look perfect, and Im going to try some in my two groove, as soon as I buy a set of dies. Has any one else tried paper masking tape? I could see that new stuff may be sorta gummy, but this old stuff I found is pretty dry.

Couldn't use it for masking, thats for sure..

303Guy
09-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Good question! I'll be looking forward to your test results.

jhalcott
09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I read SOME WHERE about using gummy labels to wrap bullets. Maybe on Verals site(???)! I've used teflon pipe tape with good resuts. The final bullet diameter is what counts when patching, so masking tape may work quite well.

bcp477
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
It could work.....as long as the tape will strip off the bullets, as soon as they exit the barrel. If not.... then you will know it (no accuracy). I've thought about trying masking tape myself, because it certainly is easy to wrap bullets with it...... but haven't yet. My intention, at some point, is to first apply the tape to cloth (like the shirt you are wearing)....a couple of times, to reduce the stickiness....then patch the bullets. The masking tape I have is too thick to use with my bullets (at the diameter I use now).....so I'd plan to size the tape-wrapped bullets thru an appropriate push-thru sizing die before loading them. I have a feeling that this won't work well....because of the residual stickiness....but it is worth a try. Another possibility is to coat the bullets with a bit of lube, before tape-wrapping them, to facillitate the tape stripping off the bullets. I might try that, too.

runfiverun
09-30-2009, 10:55 PM
veral was working with printing labels like the ones for your computer.