PDA

View Full Version : Leverdicted

dsmjon
09-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Took both the 30-30 and 45-70 out to the range tonight. I'm about ready to sell all my other long guns to get more levers!!

Was able to sort out some earilier issues with the 30-30. Put a test load of 10 rnds (9.5gr Unique under 180gr boolit), all holes touching each other. Shot another 10 rnds loaded w/ 11 Unique and opened the spread up by about 6".

Then I unleashed the beast. Started with a couple of store box 400gr slugs. Not knowing what the recoil would be, I figure this was a safe move b/c they'd likely have to be compatible with trapdoor guns (no warnings to the contrary). As expected, recoil was on par with the 30-30. Then I shot 5 test loads of a 425gr FN boolit over 16gr (?) of Unique. About the same recoil, pretty tight groups (open Vnotch sights).

Then the curious cat came out. Chambered a 435gr FN slug set over 52gr of IMR 4064 (IIRC, need to double check my notes). W-W-W-W-WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :bigsmyl2: Recoil made me take half a step back, I was grinning like a **** eatin dog, and the girl beside me popping her .40cal M&P was like :shock: ***. I shot it one more time and put the gun down, for fear my shoulder would end up on the floor.

RSO came over after a couple minutes of my nursing my shoulder and eyed the glorious beauty of the 1895G, and asked how the recoil was. "It's fun, wanna give it a go?" After accepting, I asked him "do you want mild, or moderate?" He went for the latter, and I fed him the 52gr of brass-cased LOL. I don't know if he shot the floor, the ceiling, or the backstop, I was too busy watching his reaction.

I've haven't had that much deviously deceptive fun since I taught my older brother about shooting a 12ga. He was watching me plink away with #9 AA's and asked for a turn, so I slipped in one of the AA's and had a 3" slug for the follow-up shot. :redneck:

Now I can't decide if I want a .44mag or .357mag lever next. I have a feeling either one of those would have a date with a reamer. :grin:

Ekalb2000
09-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I know my 44 mag trapper has some peep in it.
And I just missed out on a 45-70 from this guy at work. And he knew I was interested in it.
Looks like you found you load for the 30-30

NickSS
09-30-2009, 05:43 AM
I know what you are talking about in recoil. I have had a 95 marlin for over 20 years now and I love it. I mostly shoot 325 gr lead flat points in it at 1300 to 1400 fps so recoil is not bad and I can shoot 50 rounds or so and have fun. But several years ago I was heading for Alaska to go fishing with my wife's cousin. He told me to bring something for Bear medicine with me. So I loaded up some 400 gr JSP bullets with 54 gr of 4895. Same startling recoil. So I put a sand bag between the rifle and me and that tamed it to allow zeroing my sights. Well I didn't get to shoot a bear on my fishing trip but that fall I shot an elk at 125 yards. Funny thing is I do not remember any recoil but the Elk dropped like it was pole axed.

dsmjon
09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
I havn't woken up with a sore shoulder in a while. This gun is going to be a lot of fun. I bet that Elk did drop like a rock. I just might have to take up shooting ungulates again with this thing. I imagine tracking would be a thing of the past with a shoulder shot, LOL.

Speedo66
10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I think a large part of the nasty recoil from the Trapdoors has to do with the awful shape of the metal butt plate.

tcrocker
10-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I just loaded me up some 464gr fn cast with 43.5gr of IMR4198.[smilie=p: Recoil was stiff I shot a concrete block it went away, and my brother shot a hard wood tree about 4 to 5" it snaped it off like lighting hit. Can't waith to try some deer and hogs:bigsmyl2:

dsmjon
10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Question for you big slug shooters. I notice load data for anything over about 405gr is scare. Do yall just work up the loads from there, or is there another source I don'tk onw about? (have Lee cast boolit manual)