Fugowii
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
I managed to scrounge up around eight and a half pounds of pewter over
the last couple of months and today I decided to smelt it. I smelted it in
a S/S pan I got at the dump and poured it into my C/I muffin mold. I
estimated the size for each pour and wound up with these discs. I
took them over to the PO and weighed each disc and marked them
with the weight.

There is 7.5 Lbs of tin in 26 discs weighing between 3.0 and 6.5 oz.
Not bad for less than $15 I would say.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/09_29_2009002a.jpg

odinohi
09-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Nice looking stuff. Congrats!

Gunslinger
09-30-2009, 06:58 AM
No not bad at all.... looks cool.

WILCO
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Great idea!

jsizemore
10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Good haul. That's about the price I pay and the same labeling system with "Sn" added.

mold maker
10-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I found an awful lot of unmarked stuff at yard sales and flea markets. All the sellers claimed them to be pewter. Only one small piece had a mark of any kind and the price certainly wasn't for melting.
Since pewter isn't a precious metal, and really might not be marked, is there a way to determine its contents??
Local pawn shop has a whole stack of salad and dinner plates, (not marked) that ammounts to about 14 lbs. I think I can buy them at $1./lb, but how can I tell???
I really have no use for any of it, if it wont help make boolits.

jsizemore
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
mold maker, when you get the piece in your hands, try to bend it. REAL pewter will easily bend and not try to go back to it's former shape. If that piece is thick and won't bend, it's probably some zinc alloy like Armetale. If it is magnetic then it's iron and not pewter. If it will easily bend and not try to return to it's former shape, then it's pewter and you bought it cause you bent it up. Older pewter has a dark gray and USUALLY has a small amount of lead in it and usually has a lot of small bents from being banged around over the years. If it has a tack weld or rivet holding it together, it's not pewter. I've seen fine pewter that has a shiny finish that is covered with silver plate. Unless it says fine pewter, don't buy it. Good luck

mold maker
12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
The unmarked plates are nearly 1/4" thick and would not bend. They were however knife marked and had right many small dents on the edges.
Problem solved. When I went back there was an empty space on the shelf.
The shop owner did however hand me a badly mangled (marked) creamer for free.

jsizemore
12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Mold Maker, did the creamer look like the other pieces?

Most pieces that I've found that were 1/4" thick were usually not pewter, but something like Wilton or Armetale which is zinc.

I did find some plates that were thick for pewter ,1/8-3/16", but were marked Riverwood Pewter.

The biggest difference between the Riverwood and Wilton was the finish. The Riverwood had the same slick finish front and back. The Wilton would sometimes have a slick finish on the displayed surface but the back would look like hot dipped galvinized steel or a frosted boolit.

When I'm looking in thrift stores or flea markets, you'll run across a ladle or bread bowl that says in relief " Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread" inside. Everyone I've ever picked up, slick or galvinized in appearence, were all zinc.

I use a 4qt dutch oven to melt my pewter. If I have any doubts about a piece, I'll stick the suspect piece in the pot with a known piece along side. If they melt at about the same rate, their OK. I try to keep my pot temp below 700deg.

If I have doubts, I pass on it. I'm sure I've missed some pewter, BUT I ain't bought no zinc.

Hope this helps. Once you get used to what to look for, it'll come easy. Good luck.

swheeler
12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Pretty good haul, good price! I bought 30 pounds for 90.00 from the recycler a few years ago.

Fugowii
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I ran across this on the web yesterday:

Fine pewter is made of Antimony, Tin & Copper (no lead).

The 1958 standard was 92% Tin, 5% Antimony and 3%Copper.

This standard would change in a few years to 92% Tin, 6% Antimony and 2% Copper.

I tested the pewter I smelted and it came in around Lino hardness (22 BNH).

Based on this I would think that adding additional pewter smelt to your lead would
increase the hardness of the mix, unlike just adding pure tin.

Bill*
12-31-2009, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=jsizemore;745724]"When I'm looking in thrift stores or flea markets, you'll run across a ladle or bread bowl that says in relief " Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread" inside. Everyone I've ever picked up, slick or galvinized in appearence, were all zinc."

Same for "giv os idag vort daglig brod" (SP?) (Norwegian?)

Depdog
01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Hope this is not a dumb question, but besides bowls, plates and flatware, where else can you look for peweter? Was it used for anything in construction? I am asking becasue I am looking for sources of Tin so that I can alloy my lead as well.

Thanks
Glenn

imashooter2
01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Pewter has been cast into all sorts of bric-a-brac. Little decorative figurines as sold by Hallmark and the like. One poster here reported that he got a fair bit of weight from some old trophies he found.

357maximum
01-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Trophies made of pewter were rather rare and ceased to be produced around 1950-53 or so to my knowledge. I booted a large haul of trophies from the 30's/40's/50's and most of them were pewter, but I doubt I would ever luck into such a haul again. These trophies all came from a member of my inlaws family that was very good at bowling back in the day apparently. My M.I.L was gonna throw them all away....so I got out the propane torch and did some very destructive sorting.

My biggest haul of pewter was 2 five gallon buckets of little merlins/dragon/fairy type figurines from a yard sale. Over 100 lbs of pewter for $20. I actually use very little of it and I have enough to last my uses for my days. I only include it when I have an issue with a complicated/trouble mould or in a BP/LV bullet or in a straight PB/SN alloy. Tin has it's uses, but I feel alot of us use it more often and in greater amounts than neccessary. It does have it's uses though...they are just minimal in my endeavors. Too much tin in antimonial alloys can lead to some very bad ju-ju also.

You just never know when or where you will score...so one must be on the look out at all times. If you went to a yard sale and did not ask if they have any lead and such...you may very well have missed the next good haul. Open your mouth and ask about lead/guns and such....you will strike out alot...but every now and then.....BINGO.

Gelandangan
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
A lot of old graveyards are running out of leases (99years lease?)
The old bones are dug out and cremated.

Usually the head stone markers, grave fence ornaments and many other accessories are made of pewter and these are being recycled.
It is a source of pewter.. depends if you can make yourself use them.

Its just a thought.

mold maker
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't think the torched residents will mind. If they complain, RUN, and don't look back.

357maximum
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
A lot of old graveyards are running out of leases (99years lease?)
The old bones are dug out and cremated.

Usually the head stone markers, grave fence ornaments and many other accessories are made of pewter and these are being recycled.
It is a source of pewter.. depends if you can make yourself use them.

Its just a thought.

Is that 99 yer thing standard operating procedure? just sounds wrong to me. Our graveyards here have revolutionary soldiers in them......is it a crowded area thing?

docone31
01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I grew up in an area that was very active in the revolutionary war. I saw many head stones some from the 1600s.
No one needs tin that bad.
There was a rash of head stone top overs. Everyone thought it was kids vandalizing the sites.
Wrong.
My brother in law was a grave digger. He told me, the older graves had pennies under the head stones. When they were being set, to fine level them, they would put pennies between the headstone, and footing.
They toppled the gravestones to get the pennies. Some were several hundred years old and in new condition.
I learned about it years later.

jsizemore
01-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Hope this is not a dumb question, but besides bowls, plates and flatware, where else can you look for peweter? Was it used for anything in construction? I am asking becasue I am looking for sources of Tin so that I can alloy my lead as well.

Thanks
Glenn

The majority of my pewter finds are bowls and tankards. A Shefield tankard will yield about 8ozs of ingots.

Shiloh
01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Garage sales, church or school rummage sales, and flea markets. Flea market vendors tend to be a little more proud of there stuff.

You are looking for beer mugs with glass bottoms, ornamental goblets or other food consumption vessels, and little artsy type figurines of animals and such.

You are looking for stuff on the cheap. If the sellers aren't aware of the value or what it is.
This is where garage sales and rummage sales shine.

Shiloh

Fugowii
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks
Glenn

Pewter was used for a variety of items. Here's a picture of my recent scrounging. I
have in addition to what you see, candlesticks, jewelry box, tankard, tin (real) container
with raised pewter images on the lid and some other stuff I can't remember. I have a
place where I go that is a virtual treasure store for this stuff. Rarely do I pay more than
a dollar for most items.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/11_25_2009007a.jpg

jsizemore
01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
That's an excellent picture from Fugowii. You notice the dull sheen but the surface appears to be slick and non-pourous except for the picture frames.

Most, but not all, of the Sheffield tankards I've found have an aluminum ring next to the bottom of the glass. I use a pair of tin snips to cut the aluminum ring, glass, and caulk out before I throw it in the pot. That aluminum ring also has "Sheffield Pewter" engraved in it's surface.

I found a pewter seving pot with lid that yielded nearly 3 lbs of ingots. That was a little unusual because you couldn't put a very high flame to the pot with out it melting when the level of liquid inside got low. The rim on the top of the pot had stretched so far that the lid fell inside the pot. It made the asking price very negotiable since it was defective.

littlejack
01-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I went out looking for pewter today after finding this thread last week. This was a first for me, as I have never knowingly, had a piece of pewter in my hands. I stopped at most of the Good Will stores in the area as well as the St Vincent De Pauls and a few antique shops. After reading some of the discriptions by you fellas, (thank you very much), I was able to discere what was pewter and what was not. Most of it had proof marks or manufacturers marks on it. It did bend easily, and some of it had 92% on it or pewter stamped or with raised letters on it. One piece had a 95% factory sticker on it from Thiland. Actually, once a person knows what to look for, it is quite easy to identify the good stuff. As was said earlier in the thread, if one is not sure, pass it up. Better to do that than to ruin a good batch of lead with ZINK.
Some of the stores were proud of their items, Too Proud. They're still there at the stores. I probably got about 10 - 13 pounds. I will have to figure how much I paid and if I did well or not.
Thanks fells for the informative thread, and another option for getting tin for our alloys.
Jack

lwknight
01-12-2010, 02:21 AM
If you got out for $5.00 per pound you did good. Even at $8.00 you did not get hurt.

SCHUETZENBOOMER
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I scored exactly 10# of hallmarked pewter last weekend. I paid more than I should have for some of the bigger pcs....but all said and done I paid less than $5 a pound. I left a lot on the shelves that was questionable or just did not "feel" right. When they ask you what you do with it......DON"T say melt it and make bullets! Say you are just getting into collecting pewter......which is true.

Cloudpeak
01-12-2010, 09:55 AM
We watched this last night on Antiques Road Show:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200902A04.html

Good thing this guy wasn't a bullet caster:smile:

SCHUETZENBOOMER
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Shortly after watching a really heavy old pewter tea set melt into a heavenly sream of liquid tin, I was cruising e-bay for visuals on different types of pewter. I am ashamed to say that there on e-bay was my EXACT teapot with the identical hallmarks at over $300. This was just the pot....I had the 4pc set. I love antiques and was kind of sick that I melted that set for $40 worth of tin to make boolits. If you have a pc that you suspect is "nice" check it out before you puddle it.

myg30
01-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Am I catching on ??? Also after reading this thread, went to the local goodwill and found these. My photo skills are poor but you'll get the picture....
The tankard is a small one, leonard eales of sheffield. Tennis winner 1980
The plate is wilton,mt joy, pa. usa. The circle has what looks like RWP.
I hope this is good stuff at $1.49 each.

Mike

lwknight
01-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Those seem too nice to melt.
Glad you got some cheap tin anyway.

SCHUETZENBOOMER
01-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Search for threads on the "DAILY BREAD"plate. I highly doubt it is pewter. I have looked at a half a dozen of these and have yet to see a pewter one. If you cant bend it by hand (fairly easy) then it is probably not pewter. Watch the melt temp to confirm.

imashooter2
01-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Am I catching on ??? Also after reading this thread, went to the local goodwill and found these. My photo skills are poor but you'll get the picture....
The tankard is a small one, leonard eales of sheffield. Tennis winner 1980
The plate is wilton,mt joy, pa. usa. The circle has what looks like RWP.
I hope this is good stuff at $1.49 each.

Mike

The tankard looks like pewter. The plate looks like a waste of $1.49. The Wilton stuff is not pewter it is "armetale," a proprietary zinc based alloy.

myg30
01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info, thats why I posted. The circle with the rwp in the bottom of the plate, I guess the RWP dosnt stand for real wilton pewter ? Just wishin !

Mike

imashooter2
01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Evidently it stands for Really Wishing it's Pewter...

You aren't the only one either. Those things have decent weight, sell cheap and they litter yard sales like snowflakes. :(

myg30
01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Evidently it stands for Really Wishing it's Pewter...

You aren't the only one either. Those things have decent weight, sell cheap and they litter yard sales like snowflakes. :(

Amen brother !! I wazz a wishen ! Found a sealed box of wilton plates and on this one it clearly said "Wilton Armetale ". Also had the RWP !!
At least I have a plate that looks good and I wont feel guilty melting it down.
Gonna keep it on my shelve as a reminder!!

Thanks again all for great casting info.

Mike

littlejack
01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I melted and made ingots a couple of days ago. I had a total of 8.75 pound of ingots and it figured out at about 3.40 a pound.
I did see quite a few of the "bread plates" that Mike took a picture of. Some of different makers, good quality and cheap. They were indeed NOT pewter. I went into an antique shop and the lady directed me to a shelf of what she said was a stack of pewter plates. Nope. They were the RWP. I just call it aluminum. She did have a small candle holder but wanted 5.00 for it. I found one just like it at one of the Good Will stores for about 1/4 the price.
I also picked up one of the small tankards like Mikes.
This morning, I melted a batch of my ww ingots and added dab of the pewter in the melt. I have been wanting to try some 500 grain government bullets in my 45-70 with the ww alloy and smokeless powder. I fluxed and mixed well. I preheated the moulds. I cast about 25-30 beautiful bullets and from start to finish, I had nary a one to throw back.
Good hunting fella's.
Jack

myg30
01-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Good hunting LJ, I found 2 trophy type cups, engraved but no markings on em. They soft like pewter,looks like pewter, marks on paper like pewter... Hope the darn things are pewter.
If I get a bunch together I'll melt with the tankard that I know is pewter and see if they melt same temp.
Wonder if there is a ratio of pure lead/pewter mix or ww /pewter mix to get a BNH of ?

We keep a lookin, Good hunting.

Mike

imashooter2
01-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Use pewter as pure tin.

littlejack
01-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Mike, I do the same as i2. I consider pewter as pure tin. That makes life a little easier for the mathmatical impaired.
Jack

Alchemist
01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Shortly after watching a really heavy old pewter tea set melt into a heavenly sream of liquid tin, I was cruising e-bay for visuals on different types of pewter. I am ashamed to say that there on e-bay was my EXACT teapot with the identical hallmarks at over $300. This was just the pot....I had the 4pc set. I love antiques and was kind of sick that I melted that set for $40 worth of tin to make boolits. If you have a pc that you suspect is "nice" check it out before you puddle it.

Good advise. Rotometals sells tin ingots for $11.99 a lb. A $300 teapot would fetch enough cash to buy 24 pounds of known pure tin, versus a few ingots of pewter that who knows what's in it!

hogstad7
10-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Scored some pewter today at a flea market. [smilie=w:
23.6lbs for 12 dollars, including some other stuff for my wife.

jsizemore
10-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Wow. That's a deal.

imashooter2
10-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Incredible score! Congratulations!

Nose Dive
10-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Well... good info all.... Pewter is my 'go to stuff' to save a bad smelt pot.....hmmm this is done...after the 'bad' pot is poured and made into ingots....

I guess...my real solution is to resmelt the bad stuff with 'pure' lead... pewter...bad alloy...flux...flux...flux (sawdust/sulfur) and repour ingots.

Never really lost a pot.

Now...Pewter...well..it ain't always pewter... if you can see a foundry marking...good! you probably have a good alloy and can be used 'as is'.

I got about 150 or so pounds from a buddy 'out of Africa' and it was lead, zinc and I think aluminum rich. MAN..I hated that smelt...

If you see foundry markings from US, EU, Great Britian...you probably have some good stuff. "PEWTER" is my go to alloy to save a smelt pot.

I have made myself a promise to get some of my plumber's ingots and alloy with pewter only. No WW's which is also my 'go to stuff'....

I alloy light...75% lead...WW's ... or 'to be done' Pewter'. I never have hardness issues as I water drop all my Boolits....

We will see. But...am slap out of 'know' pewter.... flea market here we come!!

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

mold maker
10-11-2015, 06:07 AM
In all the years I've been looking, I haven't found 10 lbs total. Around here they think it's worth more than gold and keep it hidden.
Ya done good. Want to double ya money?