PDA

View Full Version : Help in ID?

mazo kid
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I realize this isn't a "boolit" but a friend got a box of these in a lot of shooting stuff. My thought is that it is the front half of a 2 piece boolit; but how/what does the bottom half look like and how is it fashioned/secured? Any thoughts? Thanks. Emery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/buletnose.jpg
Oh yeah, it measures .357" and appears to be solid copper.

HammerMTB
09-29-2009, 06:59 PM
It's called a heeled bullet. The cartridge case goes up the bullet to the point of the heel, and will make a straight-sided round when complete. Very few cartridges use it anymore, but the .22 rimfire is one.
I had an old .310 Martini that used them.
It is probably not pure copper, but plated, so there will be no lead evident on the base.

Leftoverdj
09-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Probably for .38 Colt. Some of the CAS boys are still shooting them.

stubshaft
09-30-2009, 01:26 AM
+1 on - heeled boolit

bravokilo
09-30-2009, 02:34 AM
100+ views and NOBODY remembers what this is? About 15-20 years ago (I would guess) somebody marketed a "reloading" outfit for .38 specials that used plastic cases and these bullets. In order to make the cases strong enough they had to be much thicker than brass ones, hence the heeled bullet. The "press" was a hand held gizmo that looked like some sort of weird grip exerciser. You did not need to "size" the cases, so you did not need any kind of conventional press. That heel will be way to small for any kind of brass case.

Now does anybody remember??

Oh, and yes, copper plated.

Why the hell am I unable to use an apostrophe in here??

BK

Guesser
09-30-2009, 10:41 AM
bravokilo; I remember those! It was a gimmick that never took off, I had long forgotten them. I remember looking at them and walking away shaking my head. Red, white and blue box, can't remember the name, I saw them in a hardware store in Idaho marked for clearance, don't remember ever seeing them in a gun shop.

leftiye
09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
BK, yer dog has black eyes!

looseprojectile
09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Amtech, still have some loaded rounds.
Composite cased with patented PRB and Thermocrimp

The ones I have are semi wadcutter boolits. They lead like crazy and were not across the table accurate. Awful low velocity. Bottom three eights of the case is aluminum and the top two thirds is white plastic. The boolits just snap in and are loose even in the factory loads.

Pure junk, Made in Coeur D Alene Idaho.

Life is good

BCB
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Yep, I remember some of those plasric cases that the heel-type bullet was snapped in place with just finger pressure...

I might actually have some of them somewhere it I look...

Now I am curious and I am going to look...

BCB

BCB
09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Found them!!!

Luckily I have just totally cleaned my reloading area and they were quite easy to find...

One of the pictures is the box they came in along with two that have the bullets stuck in place and the other case is without the bullet. Both of the bullets in the cases have been fired...

The other picture is the instructions and powder charges...

They never caught on--probably too expensive to have just to shoot in the basement...

BCB

bravokilo
09-30-2009, 05:02 PM
YES!!! That is exactly what I remembered. I never had one and do not think I ever laid eyes on the ammo or tool, but I recall seeing a writeup or two and probably the ads.

Now, will somebody please explain to my WHY I can remember that obscure ammo and tool, but cannot remember where I put something down 5 minutes ago??

Leftiye, not mine. J. C. was my brothers dog. He passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly several months ago. He was a truly great dog! I miss him.

BK

zardoz
09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Astounding.

My home was owned, before I bought it, by a previous shooting enthusiast.

One day while scouting over my land, I found a pile of 38 special plastic "brass", and wondered what in the heck those were all about. I figured it was some sort of blank round or something, but why would there be a pile of them in a remote forest location.

and now I know.......

BCB
09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
If I remember correctly and I still might have some groups that I shot with them at 25 feet or so, they actually shot fairly well!

Note the rifling marks on the bullets. I think they were fired from an Model 10 Victory series 38 Special. Or maybe a Security-Six in 357 Magnum...

zardoz, I am a bit amazed you found a bunch of the plastic cases! Someone must have had a few extra bucks to spend as I think they were pricey and maybe the bullets were difficult to get--they never caught on...

I was given the 6-pack of them as a sample...

Oh well...BCB