PDA

View Full Version : Is this lube sizer on ebay a wise purchase?

Sinjin
09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
ebay lube sizer link (http://cgi.ebay.com/A2-LYMAN-LUBE-SIZER-PRESS-FOR-CAST-BULLET-LOADING_W0QQitemZ180410507535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a014de10f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

There are only a few hours left, but if anyone reads this before then and recognizes this thing, any info would be appreciated. It looks a lot larger and more involved than others I have investigated. I'm wondering if it will take the punches and dies that Lyman currently manufactures.

TIA

lurch
09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
It's a Lyman model 45, the one before the 450. Takes the same punches & dies as the new Lyman sizers do. It's not heavier but actually lighter than the 450 - those rods on either side of the unit are about 1/4' diameter if I remember right... I've used one and they do work pretty well though. Guess it just depends on what you want it for...knocking .008" off a 500gr 45 cal is not something I'd recommend with it, but for general usage, it should be fine - assuming it isn't busted.

Buckshot
09-29-2009, 12:33 AM
..............Auction's over now and I hope you got it. I have only one negative about this lube press and that is it's use of a setscrew to hold the die in place. Otherwise big dittos for Lurch's comments. In addition lemme add that I think this press has the ability to be much more accurate overall and over a longer period of time then the current 450 & 4500 presses.

If Lyman would only make the ram guide bore a bit longer, and also hard chrome the ram I do think the current design would last a lifetime.

...............Buckshot

TAWILDCATT
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I have two.one I have had since they came out in 1945 and another that is brand new condition.one has thumb screw for top punch the other an allen screw.45.
the die has a groove for the allen screw to go in so just snug it up.dont jam it.