PDA

View Full Version : 80K Grands and 40K Mi Carbines coming back from Korea to be Sold

Gray Fox
09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I read a thread on another site recently, that the S. Korean defense ministry is trying to raise cash and is sending 80,000 Garands and 40,000 M1 carbines here and the U.S. Gov't has agreed to sell them. The article implied that they would be sold to us commoners. Have any of you heard anything about this?

RugerFan
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
More info here: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/assault-rifle-anyone-south-korea-auctions-guns-to-fund-miltary-20090924-g3cg.html

Suo Gan
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Did a small bit of research on this topic. It looks like the SK's are selling the carbines and garands to the highest bidder who will import them to the United States. Although I have read one article that says that they are potentially worth over 100 million dollars (over $1000 per gun) the SK's are getting right around $200 per gun. As far as I have learned these are South Korean property and will have nothing to do with the CMP. If what was imported from SK in the 80's is any indicator they will be rough to say the least. I feel pretty confident that the lower grades will garner less than $400 and move up from there. Maybe we can expect to start seeing them in the next 6 months? Hopefully some ammo will come along for the boat trip too!

sqlbullet
09-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I have been wondering if Korea is the source of the M1 Garands that have shown up lately in Big-5 sporting goods. These are pretty rough as well, but Big 5 is still asking $700+ for them.

Shiloh
09-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Did a small bit of research on this topic. It looks like the SK's are selling the carbines and garands to the highest bidder who will import them to the United States. Although I have read one article that says that they are potentially worth over 100 million dollars (over $1000 per gun) the SK's are getting right around $200 per gun. As far as I have learned these are South Korean property and will have nothing to do with the CMP. If what was imported from SK in the 80's is any indicator they will be rough to say the least. I feel pretty confident that the lower grades will garner less than $400 and move up from there. Maybe we can expect to start seeing them in the next 6 months? Hopefully some ammo will come along for the boat trip too!

For them to be $1000 each, they would have to be in a lot better shape than I think they'll be in. I have no way to know for sure, but I think they will be rough like the Blu-Sky inports from the '90's. Some of those looked like they were dragged through gravel.

Shiloh

runfiverun
09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
me too, i still haven't replaced my garand. a rough one with a decent action and sights would fit the bill nicely.
might even be interested in a full stocked carbine.
not at a g though

JeffinNZ
09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
You're only assuming your President will allow them to imported.

Ekalb2000
09-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I bet they are pretty rough. CMP passed on them.

nicholst55
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I bet they are pretty rough. CMP passed on them.

I asked a close friend, a very highly placed (4-star level) ROK army Sergeant Major, about these rifles a week or so ago. He knows what a gun nut I am, as I used to take him shooting when he was in the States. Granted, he hasn't seen these rifles personally, but he assures me that they are 'fully serviceable,' and suitable for use by us crazy Americans. We'll see.

The ROK army used these rifles up until they replaced them with locally manufactured, licensed-built M16A1s. They were used for years and years after that by reserve units, and probably used by ROTC-type units after that. Their issue rifle is now the Daewoo K2, and the reserves and rear-echelon troops carry those M16A1s.

I've never known a Korean to replace an item until it is totally worn out, but we can hope. I suspect that if these rifles were in good (or better) condition, they would be selling for more than US$200 and change, even at wholesale.

As I said earlier, we'll see what kind of condition these guns are in. Me? I ain't holding my breath.

dogbert41
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking that you might find a few shooters in the bunch. Maybe you might have to rebarrel one, put some new springs in... They are built like tanks. Probably shoot cast ok...

Ricochet
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
The ROK army used these rifles up until they replaced them with locally manufactured, licensed-built M16A1s. They were used for years and years after that by reserve units, and probably used by ROTC-type units after that.
Probably the ugliest rifle I've ever held in my hands was the M14 I was issued in Army ROTC in the mid '70s. Beaten up, cracked and crudely patched with fiberglass.

Boz330
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
When I was a Drill Corporal at Knox we were still training with M14s and one of the rifles in my Plt had a 4 digit SN and there were a few bumps in the barrel that almost passed for rifling. The poor cruit that drew this rifle didn't stand a chance at qualification so we had to swap rifles around to get them passed. For what ever reason the armorer sent it back every time we sent it in as serviceable, NOT.

Bob

quasi
10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
these guns may be shipped to Canada (Marstar) and the rough ones will be stripped for parts and parts kits, and the good ones sold as rifles. Marstar is a major supplier of surplus arms to the U.S. and Canada, and is the source of most "part kits" in the U.S.