PDA

View Full Version : SR 4759 performs!

wallenba
09-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Got what I was looking for out of IMR's SR-4759. A good gallery load with a tame recoil and not too much noise. Used this briefly in my .308 M77 with a 100 gr J-word over 17 grains and liked it, so off to the kitchen to cook for the Herret.
I have degenerative disc disease and hunting is out now, so I shoot just to recreate. These were jacketed 110's loaded just to fireform the cases, and I'm going to start casting Lyman 311359's tonight. I am concerned about the bullet seating depth into the Herrett, as the base of the boolit with gas check will be below the shoulder in the case. How likely is it that as the boolit base enters the bottom of the neck that the check will be knocked off? Results below (not really spectacular guys it's only 30 yards). click to enlarge, hard to see but primer was whacked good! no bang!

44man
09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I use nothing but Federal primers. I would look for another reason it did not go off. Maybe not seated fully. I have not had a primer failure and have been loading since about 1955.

wallenba
09-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I use nothing but Federal primers. I would look for another reason it did not go off. Maybe not seated fully. I have not had a primer failure and have been loading since about 1955.

Nope, no reason not to work, headspace ok, seated ok. I even uniform my primer pockets as part of the case prep. Best I can figure is I was sold some old stock, these were recently purchased from a gun shop out of town as my store has been out. My primers are never touched by hands. I load in small batches. My remark was not so much a slam against Federal, but the fact that they were held back until last makes me think seller knew there was a problem.

35remington
09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
"How likely is it that as the boolit base enters the bottom of the neck that the check will be knocked off?"

Depends upon how tightly they fit. With some poorly dimensioned bullet shanks I can knock off gaschecks with the application of a fingernail. If you can't get them off the bullet, they won't come off in the case. Once the primer lights if they're on to begin with they'll stay on......unless the bullet is badly misaligned with the barrel.

I've had some bullets that I recovered that showed the bullet was so poorly aligned with the barrel that the gascheck was partially stripped off; evidence was rifling marks on the base of the bullet on one side, and none on the other where the gascheck stayed on.

Durn dies were loading crooked ammo.