PDA

View Full Version : I cast 450 bullets in 5 hours yesterday.....

Harry O
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I am getting faster. These are from a Rapine single-cavity, hollow-base mould for the 41 Long Colt. I have to cast them as hot as my pot will go and separately heat the center pin over a candle every 4th or 5th bullet.

I started out at about one-per-minute with this mould several years ago. Then I worked up to 1-1/4 per minute. Since then, I changed the length of the pin to up it from 188gr to 218gr. Yesterday, it worked out to 1-1/2 per minute (I am not saying that changing the pin make it faster). That is also why I don't cast these for resale. I could not charge enough to make it worth my while to cast them for others.

Actually, I credit the Rapine mould as being an easy to cast with mould. Not just this one, but all of Rapines I have. It is aluminum, like many others. The NEI moulds I have are also aluminum, are larger, and are almost, but not quite as easy to cast with. The Lee moulds are also aluminum, but are much smaller, and of course, they don't cast nearly as well as the two larger ones. It looks to me like the right amount of aluminum is the amount that Rapine uses. If they don't do that, larger is better than smaller.

Anyway, I lubed about half of them and will be loading them tonight. That should give enough to get some data to compare with my past 41 Long Colt data. A quick test of 50 or so I had a couple of weeks ago looked like it had good possibilities.

P.S. I got started casting on a Rapine hollow-base mould for the 41 Long Colt. Since then, I have cast approx 6,000 - 8,000 hollow-base bullets from about 8 different HB moulds I have. I know what it takes to cast them. I have noticed that some of the things I do for HB moulds, I have started doing when I cast with plain-base moulds. It slows things down, but I seem to have more consistent weight and fewer rejects doing this, even with PB moulds.

One of the things I do is run it hotter than I hear people around here use for their moulds. I try to keep it hot enough that the sprue takes at least 3 seconds to flash over (5 seconds for HB moulds). I want to get a depression in the sprue lead over the hole once it hardens. That means my bullet is more consistent in weight (I have some data on that if anyone is interested). I have gotten pretty good at holding the mould level until the sprue flashes over, even when doing other things (like looking at the last one cast to see if they go into the reject pile or keeper pile).

I also don't flux much. I melt everything, heat the mould and sprue plate by dipping them in the melt, then flux, and then cover the top of the melt with boric acid. That melts over the top and keeps oxygen away from the melt. Because of that, I cannot dump scrap back in as I go along. I keep it in a scrap pile. When the melt gets low, I clean out the old boric acid, add all the scrap, then replenish the pot with ingots. When everything is melted, I reheat the mould and sprue plate again, then flux again, and cover the top with boric acid again. No, I don't run the pot as hot for PB moulds (as I do with HB moulds), but I run it hot enough that boric acid is a help.

Wayne Smith
09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Harry, that sounds like good progress. I cast with a ladle and, if you saw my post on my 457122, I'm in the same boat. Wants to be hot and I cool the sprue plate on a wet towel after it flashes over. That and Bullplate and very little lead on my mold.

StarMetal
09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Harry,

That's brutal from a single cavity mould. Good patience you have there fellow. Nice job.

Joe

gravely
09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Just to show the efficiency of a 4-cavity mould, I cast 200 .45 swc bullets in 30 minutes using 2 identical 4-cavity H&G moulds. I did work at a faster than normal pace and did not through the sprue back in the pot - I guess you would say this was "peak" performance.

archer

Gee_Wizz01
09-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I have been wondering if Swede or Mihec could make a Cramer style hollow base mold? It seems like it would be feasible, and it would really speed up production if you had a 2 or 4 cavity hollow base mold and you wouldn't have to seat the base pin each time. I hate casting hollow base Minie's for my muzzle loader because it takes so long. Luckily you can't shoot them as fast either.

G

Harry O
09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Wayne Smith: I have tried three different kind of ladles, but have not been able to make them work for me. I use a Lee 20lb bottom pour pot with the mould held about 1/4" to 3/8" below the spout (using the sheet metal holder to keep it at the same height). I have a couple of smaller pots, but using the 20lb one means I can go longer before having to add scrap and ingots. Because of the time and effort it takes to clean the boric acid on top, the longer I can go, the better.

Harry O
09-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Gee Wizz01: Unfortunately, I can shoot the 41LC cartridges much faster than I can cast them. It is something to do during the winter, though. Not much shooting can be done.